wolf help

howl1up

first post, luv this site been on for about a year.me and wife heading west to idaho in a few weeks. try to get a crack at one of these wolfs.we are both avid shooters up to 1000yds. we shoot up to this range on family farm . she will be using a 243 wssm by d-tech 105 amaxs.leupold 3.5 -10-50. should i take a 6x 47 lapua, or 300 ultra mag, how tough are they longer ranges ? ive seen these eastern coyotes amaze me how well they absorb a 107 sierra . also any pointers where to start in the state we have a full week. i am a avid coyote hunter and average 20 a year in southern indiana, worked for are local council to kill coyotes on school grounds.plenty of references,would not be traveling 1400 plus miles one way if i wasnt serious.any help knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
alex

If you are serious I know where a pac was at last spring near fairfield about 2 hours east of boise. We had a cople of sightings but were never able to get one. Called them had them answer another guy camped next to us and we told him he went in and got them to howl as well but they would not come out.
Pm me if you are serious and Ill give you the exact location. Good camping near by
retiredcpo

I was hunting the Fairfield area a week ago and had a hard time getting around due to the snow they had just received. A few suggestions, 1st, check on Idaho Game & Fish site and see if the quota hasnt been filled for Southern Mountains unit. Two wolves left last I checked. 2nd, because of the snow, either bring a snow machine or have a line on one when you get there. Fairfield had a couple of feet and farther north, Stanley had three feet. We had a lead on some coming in on livestock but couldnt get to them. 3rd, be willing to ask the locals on where to locate some. Most are helpful. Just respect their property. Alot of private land in that area. My thoughts on a rifle round. I use a 6mm with a 55 gr NBT on coyotes out here in the west. I figure a wolf is a bigger coyote so I took a 25.06 with a 100 gr NBT bullet to shoot the wolf. Didnt get the chance this time but going back next week. Hope this helps, Good hunting!

When I shot mine in the 2009 season the head wolf guy at fish and game said the highest concentration in the state was in the south fork of the Payette R. drainage from Lowman up stream. That might have changed in 2 years but there are still a ton of wolves up there and the quota didn't fill in the first season and I doubt it will this time due to the difficult terrain. I heard them two mornings in a row in Nov. while elk hunting and saw numerous fresh tracks.

If you can get them to howl then you know where they are, go and kill them. My friend and his girlfriend have killed three wolves in the two seasons. All with a 22-250 and mine with a 25-06 115 Berger. They die pretty easy but are half hair, so do not hold high. If you can get them howling keep them going and move in. Good luck!

Wolf hunting in Idaho is plentiful and abundant in the right areas. In the north, such as were we are, Clearwater county, Wolf's are abundant and often a nuisance. Just last week, while building a chicken coop, we had a mother and pup try to coax our dogs away not more than 100 yards away. They are getting to be not so skiddish around humans and my 2 cents on a call, Nothing works better than a cow and Calf Elk call. The prey in distress calls are used so heavy, they often don't work in this area but, Elk or Mosse calk and cow calls work flawless.

My weapon of choice has been a 243 AUK pushing a 58 Gr V-Max at 4150 through a 1-10 twist Hart.

If your ever up near this way, Clear water county, shoot me a PM and I would be glad to give you a up close review of what a Wolf looks like through our Binos or if in season, through a scope.gun)

Regards,
Ken

What to hunt wolves with? They are thick skinned but not anymore than a deer. For me it's not important to drop one in its tracks when the snow's on. A well placed bullet out of a .243 should do the trick. I have a 6-284 and have hunted wolves with the 70 Nosler as well as the 87 grain Berger. Speed kills!!!

A few years ago there was a story in Small Caliber News about an Alaskan wolf hunter who was successful living out back and killing wolves...usually over bait on ice as well as calling, and not far from his cabin. And he was using a 17!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.