please HELP stuck case

summitsitter

I'm pretty new to reloading and well I got a 270wsm case stuck in the die last night. really don't know what happened, I though I had lubed it good. Any tricks to getting it out, or do I have to buy a special tool to get it out. Thanks in advance.

You can purchase a RCBS stuck case remover to do this job.I've drilled them out before with the right size drill bits,but it is a chore.I would buy the tool if I had to do it again.Now let me guess,nickle plated brass?That's what stuck on me.It's tough brass,but it can get sticky.

I'm pretty new to reloading and well I got a 270wsm case stuck in the die last night. really don't know what happened, I though I had lubed it good. Any tricks to getting it out, or do I have to buy a special tool to get it out. Thanks in advance.

If you have a vice you can try putting the die in the vice and getting a pair of channel lock or vice grip pliers and twisting it until it comes out WARNING: This may or may not damage the die. The best way is to buy a stuck case removal tool from RCBS or Hornady or one of the other reloading manufactures. They are not all that expensive in the scheme of things.

I got a 223 case stuck in my Hornady die once I beat it out with the decapping pin (Not a good idea) as it bent my decapping pin I looked at midwayusa.com and could not find a replacement for it so I called Hornady and tried to buy a replacement they nice lady refused to have me pay for it. They sent it right out gave me the upgraded parts. It took 3 days total.

I bought a stuck case removing tool which consisted of a drill bit, tap, spacer, screw, and allen wrench. It's a cheap tool and no matter how much lube you put on your next batch, believe me another one will slip through and you'll get a struck case.

Once a case gets stuck, it's pretty much toast by the time it gets out. Buy the tool to save your reloading dies, not so much the peice of brass.

"really don't know what happened, I though I had lubed it good."

Lubed good? No. Especially not down near the case head. Using a spray lube?

DO NOT attempt to clamp your die in a vise tight enough to let you twist the case out, it's likely that you will bogger up the die threads but unlikely you will get the case out.

Get a stuck case remover, that's what they are made for.

Stuck case removers and bullet pullers are like pencil erasures to reloaders.

grease gun

I have a soulition, I have used this method in my shop for various repairs sometimes it works great sometimes not so good. Drill thur the primer seat and tap it for a grease fitting. screw the grease fitting into the brass. Make sure the die is pluged on the other end. Take a grease gun and pump it up. It will work like a hydrulic piston

Vince

Last edited:
got it out

Okay guys thanks for all the info I got it out. Drilled it, tapped it, and backed it out with a screw. Don't think it could get any easier. took all of 5 mins and no damage to the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.