Playing with some 270 loads for my brother

Lapua guy

My brother is a 270 Win nut, but hasn't really shot anything but factory ammo with factory guns. I had built for him a custom rem 270 and now want to do some load development for him. He loves the barnes tsx 140 grainers, and because he really doesn't shoot past 350 to 400 yards and doesn't hunt anything bigger than elk, I think that is a great projectile.

I want to experiment with some re-22 loads with the bullet, but don't see any reference loads anywhere. Thinking of starting around 54 grains, seems that won't be too hot at all. What do you all think? Also running 210 gm primers from federal.

I have never reloaded for 270, I am a 280ai guy myself so any help is appreciated.

Anyone? Even if you can just say: "yeah those are safe".

Kinda on a short timeline and don't want to blow up a gun or block a barrel.

The Alliant Powder site is showing a load of 56.5 with R22 and Speer bullet, that 's about all I know with that powder. I load 7828 and H4831.

Yeah, I know. That is why I am asking. I have all the load tables. Nothing for the 140 gr TSX though. My basic physics calc comes out perfectly fine as far a pressure. I am only going to load 3 of them and see how they group I think.

I'm getting some good groups with IMR4350 @ 58.5 gr shooting a Hornady SST 130 gr. out of a Browing A-bolt. Haven't tried 140 gr bullet yet.

My 270 seems to like the IMR4350 with about any bullet I have tested.

I don't have a load for the 140, but the barnes manual lists a load range of 55gr to 60.5gr for the 150s. So you would probably be okay starting in the 55-56 range. (no promises)

The load info I have is in a PDF from barnes. If you'd like a copy I can email it to you.

Keep us posted on how it turns out. I'm about to load the 130 ttsx with rl22 and am worried it might be a touch too slow.

Chris

Jack O'Connors load was 60 grains of H4831 with 130 grain Speer hot core and I think he changed to Nosler Partitions.

I used Hornady 130 grain SP (interlock) bullets with this load on whitetail, and they worked very well. Nosler BT's shoot the same, under an inch at 100 yards. Seems RL22 works good too. Although sand bags seem not to work to well.

I worked up a load with 140gr AB's using RL-22 and fed brass,rem 9 1/2 primers. I'm using 58.4grs Rl22. I used the OCW method and getting around 3000 fps with 22" barrel. I have shot 140gr Sierra HPBT with this same load. Seems to shoot very well. I would advise to always work up to any listed loads.

DSCF3470.jpg

load development with 140 gr sierra HPBT.
DSCF3467.jpg

Last edited:
my win model 70 likes 58gr of re 22 140 tsx wlr primer. but i gotta say it likes re19 with the tsx better. still cant get them to group like bergers or sierras though.

Barnes says a max of 62.5grns re22 but you will likely have better accuracy and a better ES and SD with about 58.5grns H4831 or 55grns Imr4350. Re22 is temp sensative and varies in burn rate to much from lot# to lot#. Id start with 56 and work up about 7 rounds in .5 grn increments. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.