Groups with my .270

remingtonman_25_06

Here are the 4 groups so far that are under 1 inch. 3 of them are .7" and 1 is in the high .5"s. I have only tried 7 loads and 4 are under 1 inch. Not to bad. Still working on a consistent 3 shot group. I want that 3rd shot to be closer. Hoping the 140g sst load will work out, or the 140g sbt will work as well.

qz22p2.jpg

I found my best groups were with R-22 or IMR 7828. Use mag primers like CCI 250 and use @58 or 59 gr. of powder respectively loaded through a tall drop tube. My .270 likes both 140 and 150 SBT's. For the 150's drop down about a grain of powder.

I've gone as much as 3 grains more of each powder, but the groups had a higher spread and very flatten primers.

I only use 4350 with 100 & 110 gr bullets for varminting.

I loaded up 13 more loads today. I used 140g sbt's, 140g sst's, and now trying 150g btips. Half the loads i'm still working with imr 4350, and I bought a can of H-4831SC today. Just trying to get a consistent .5" group at 100 yards. That h-4831sc, should also improve the velocity a little. I also lengthened my OAL. I was just going by the book and using 3.340" Well I was experimenting today and found that I could seat my 140g sbt's out to 3.410", my 140g sst's out to 3.470", and my 150g btips are out to 3.480". I hope that tightens up my groups. I already know it will help my velocity since I'm closer to the lands. Just waiting for a non windy day. I spent today loading them all up since it was rainy and windy. I dont care if its rainy, i have a roof over my shooting bench, just the **** wind sucks! I'll be sure and post my results and pics of the 13 groups. 1 or 2 of them you would think would give me a .5" group.

You did not say whether you have access to a chrono or give the barrel length of your 270. I've found that a chrono is an invaluable tool for finding the sweet spot powder for any rifle. I do believe that your 4831 is a step in the right direction. I read your other posts and it looks like your getting your guns dialed in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I worked up a load for my 270 not long ago. My final three shot test groups averaged .3.

My load is 140 grain sst's on top of 56.35 grains of rl 19, lit by federal 210's. While doing my drop chart work, this load shot four inches at eight hundred. Dunno how often recipes work in other rifles... Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.