Playing with brass!

Is easy enough with a drill, socket and torch. With low light watch for the case to turn blue. That is your target temp. Red is too hot. I have annealed in this manner for years with no issues. As has been said, the key is consistency. If you are not consistent then you are not getting the real benefit of annealing. I do plan to build a "Skip's Annealer" just to automate the process a bit.

I figured by the time they need to be annealed they're about done anyway so it's a kind of an unnecessary step and a waste of time to me. I've never really seen a difference in accuracy after annealing either. The caveat is Federal brass which I believe is soft so I dont buy it anyway. If you're running a lot of hot loads it may benefit you as well. If you're just punching paper for fun it's a waste of time. Just my 2c.

Old school. Plumbers candle. Hold the brass mid way. When it gets too hot to hold drop it on a damp towel.

Yep. Not something that should be done "by eye and hand", unlike peeling an apple. You can ruin a lot of good brass in a few minutes. I use an inexpensive annealeez machine that does a good consistent job and the temperlac liquid to set the machine up and know what the temperatures are. Easy peasy, I keep some otherwise damaged brass around to do the set up with and then I load my good stuff on and head to the cooler for a beer.
Yeah I also go through a few crap cases with the temperlac to get her setup, then its a no brainer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.