Plastic Stock Strengthening

kennygss

I have a TC ICON that shoots pretty darn good, but it has that plastic stock with the rubber overmold. Nobody makes a stock for it yet it appears. Manners only makes them for TC. The forend is mostly hollow, with that aluminum bedding block. It flexes around allot, especially with a bipod on it. I have been toying with the idea of filling the voids with epoxy or something to stiffen it up. What do you all think? Waste of time? I dont know what else would stick to the plastic. It can flex enough to press on the barrel. Thoughts?

Thanks.

If you like chassis, XLR's Evolution fits the Icon.

Or look around for an old Warlord stock.

I think any effort put into a plastic stock is a waste of your time.

If you like chassis, XLR's Evolution fits the Icon.

Or look around for an old Warlord stock.

I think any effort put into a plastic stock is a waste of your time.

Thanks, The XLR is a little to "Tacticool" to lug round the hills. I am stumped, Maybe dig that bedding block out and bolt it on a 2X4. . . .

Some guys have added an arrow shaft and bedding to the forend. This adds a bit of weight also, if that is desired. If you don't mind more weight, just add bedding to the entire forend. I imagine those stocks are about as bad as the sps. The flex is unbelievable. I bedded the recoil lug of one for a friend last year. When I got done, I put it in one of my bipods, and when sitting on the floor, I could torque the butt a scary distance to both sides and the forend would not move. That did not improve my opinion of plastic stocks.
If you are so motivated, the bedding trick would be a nice little project for an evening for you, and it's not like you can hurt much. It's worth a try. One tip, try to make some small holes at points along the forend for the bedding to stick. The plastic is too slick to take the glass very well.

Some guys have added an arrow shaft and bedding to the forend. This adds a bit of weight also, if that is desired. If you don't mind more weight, just add bedding to the entire forend. I imagine those stocks are about as bad as the sps. The flex is unbelievable. I bedded the recoil lug of one for a friend last year. When I got done, I put it in one of my bipods, and when sitting on the floor, I could torque the butt a scary distance to both sides and the forend would not move. That did not improve my opinion of plastic stocks.
If you are so motivated, the bedding trick would be a nice little project for an evening for you, and it's not like you can hurt much. It's worth a try. One tip, try to make some small holes at points along the forend for the bedding to stick. The plastic is too slick to take the glass very well.

Thats a good idea! I was considering a couple of aluminum struts in a similar cinfig. a carbon arrow shaft might be the ticket.

I just picked up a winchester model 70 7wsm that shoots pretty well and is light-PLASTIC. I like it though, so I looked up how to fix it up and debating trying this. I will repaint the stocks after.

MatchGrade Synthetic Stock Stabilizer

Check this out, they have video how to's!

What do you think, worth it?

Ed

I just picked up a winchester model 70 7wsm that shoots pretty well and is light-PLASTIC. I like it though, so I looked up how to fix it up and debating trying this. I will repaint the stocks after.

MatchGrade Synthetic Stock Stabilizer

Check this out, they have video how to's!

What do you think, worth it?

Ed

Ed, I think that method is probably good. But, I think it is easily duplicated with materials available here stateside. The bedding idea is intriguing. My rifle has one if those aluminum blocks. Bedfing it might make a mire stable foundation. The thing shoots dime sized groups as us with handloads. I should probably leave well enough alone! However, that flexi fore end is a problem though. Especially with a bipod.

I agree, bipods add into the equation. I use sticks or something in the field to shoot prone. I don't particularly like bipods nor do I like any extra weight when hiking. I might use a thin metal rod or 2 under the filler for even more strength. I like tinkering and hand customizing. I'm just getting into that. I think it can be done and money saved is always desirable. What else is there to do in your spare time!

drop by your local hobby shop and look over their selection of ally tubing. They sell brass and aluminum in different diameters. They also sell it in shapes that are kinda oval like. You can epoxy a couple strenghing ribs up front that will make a world of difference without adding much weight at all. A buddy of mine did a Savage with this stuff plus added a stainless steel plate in the bottom of the forend. Must have cut his groups 33%
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.