cutting a plastic stock on a win 30-06

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Billinsd, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Billinsd

Billinsd Well-Known Member

I have a 30-06 Win model 70 in syn stock and added a 1 inch recoil pad. I'd like to cut off 1/2 and inch to the stock. What kind of saw would be best? How about a miter saw? It's my back up hunting gun and it is a cheap stock.
    I also noticed my Beretta Urika has a 15 inch length of pull. For my rifles I like 13.5. I'm thinking I could shorten this as well.
    What do you all think?
    Thanks
    Bill

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

I would cut it on a miter saw.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Most any wooden stock can be shortened but most tupperware stocks can't
    because they are hollow and the screw bosses will be removed if you try to shorten
    it .

Take the recoil pad off and look at the butt of the stock first.

To lay out the cut scribe a line all of the way arround with a set of dividers
    to get a square cut for the recoil pad.

J E CUSTOM

4. Billinsd

Thanks, I was thinking about that. I'll have to look at the screw bosses. I was thinking of the word for that today.
    Thanks
    Bill

5. Billinsd

How about cutting the stock and placing a slip on recoil pad over the butt? Seems like it would work?

Thanks
    Bill

6. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Bill, Here is how I cut and re-pad synthetics in my shop.
    I use a radial arm saw with a trim blade(fine tooth) to cut the stock, If it needs to be squared a little I put it on the drum sander. Lite cuts so it dosen't heat up and start to melt.

Than I take the dremmel and make grooves on the inside of the hollow portion of the stock, this is so the epoxy has somthing to bite to. Degrease with acetone, fill butt with bedding compound, enough so it is about 3/4' thick. Wrap butt with one layer of saran wrap and then put it in a clamp so the butt is pressed flat against the concrete floor. The epoxy will then level off in the cavity and form a solid flat surface to secure a new pad.

24hours; remove saran wrap and drum sand everything nice and flat. Mount new grind to fit pad per instructions. Fit and finish.
    Jim

7. mixerdriverm

mixerdriverm Active Member

I cut them then form a piece of wood to fit perfectly in the end of the stock then glass it in and now you have something to attach the pad to.