Picatinny Rails. Is there much difference in different manufacturers?

Handymike

I will be switching from an old Redfield tapped and drilled mount to a Picatinny rail system for my Rem 721. Since there seems to be many manufacturers of these rails, how much difference is there in their products?

I don't know how this fits in but it seems some less expensive rails are made by extruding the basic shape and then slots are cut. These can can end up with a warp or bowed shape which doesnt do the scope any favors.

Another cost cutting measure are rails made out of 6061 aluminum which has less strength and is easier to machine. 7075 aluminum is stronger but will be more expensive

I don't know how this fits in but it seems some less expensive rails are made by extruding the basic shape and then slots are cut. These can can end up with a warp or bowed shape which doesnt do the scope any favors.

Another cost cutting measure are rails made out of 6061 aluminum which has less strength and is easier to machine. 7075 aluminum is stronger but will be more expensive
Thanks for the head's up. I'm pretty new at this so want to get good components for my renovation.
Mike

There are plenty of good pic rails out there. Personally, I like the Murphy Precision rails. They make custom rails to order and get them out quickly. You can choose from stainless steel, hardened aluminum & titanium, IIRC. Finish and MOA of angle is optional too.

Another vote here for Murphy Precision. He's not as well known as Badger or NF but the quality is outstanding. They definitely don't get have the reputation they deserve.

After Murphy, I'll vote NF then Badger. IMHO, stay away from aluminum. But that's just my .002.

t

I use Murphy too. I went with his originally because his was one of very few that offered stainless steel and will be bonding that rail to my SS action in the hopes of adding some stiffness. I wanted SS so that the thermal expansion coefficients were as similar as possible and the bonding wouldn't be introducing stress when the rifle was hot.

These rails are normally cut for ease of loading either RH or LH actions, but done so in a way that leaves as much material in the rail as is possible.

Initially they seemed like they were fairly expensive, but after receiving my first one and looking it over I feel like he may just be a bit under priced. IF there is such a thing as "CNC Art" these come close to that.

I will be switching from an old Redfield tapped and drilled mount to a Picatinny rail system for my Rem 721. Since there seems to be many manufacturers of these rails, how much difference is there in their products?
Personally, I've never seen any real problems as long as they were in specs. As for which ones? Hey, pretty all mine have been the old Leupold Ultra, not the Mk4 these were before them and very high quality, and A.R.M.S... love them, look at Mounting Solution Plus.