2 different questions

ENCORE

I plan on purchasing a prone shooting mat. NOT for hunting, but for target only. I'll be needing something that will work with damp/wet grass. I'd like to have a good quality mat that is long enough and also wide enough. Any suggestions?

In 50 years of hunting, mostly because of the areas I hunt, I've never once shot from the prone position. The rifle I'll be shooting has a LOT of recoil. I can use either a bi-pod or a professional rest but, it has to be SHOULDER ONLY for the stock.
Would someone please give me a few pointers, so that I don't drive my shoulder down between my legs, after the scope gives me a "Tasco Tattoo"?

Midway USA has several good shooting mats. The thicker ones are nicer. I have used one for a few years and like it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939342825/midwayusa-pro-series-gen-2-competition-shooting-mat

You don't mention the actual cartridge your are shootin, such as 300 Win Mag, etc. But, for recoil in the prone position... everyone will tell you to get a brake.

Another thing that helps with heavy recoiling rifles from prone is to not get your whole body too low on the ground. This tends to drive the recoil into the collar bone sometimes. I shoot prone by getting my chest up off the ground some this allows the butt to rest more into the shoulder like it does from a standing position and helps me handle the recoil better. I just use a little taller bipod and taller rear bag to get the gun up off the ground a little more.

Midway USA has several good shooting mats. The thicker ones are nicer. I have used one for a few years and like it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939342825/midwayusa-pro-series-gen-2-competition-shooting-mat

You don't mention the actual cartridge your are shootin, such as 300 Win Mag, etc. But, for recoil in the prone position... everyone will tell you to get a brake.

Another thing that helps with heavy recoiling rifles from prone is to not get your whole body too low on the ground. This tends to drive the recoil into the collar bone sometimes. I shoot prone by getting my chest up off the ground some this allows the butt to rest more into the shoulder like it does from a standing position and helps me handle the recoil better. I just use a little taller bipod and taller rear bag to get the gun up off the ground a little more.

Thank you.

I have until the end of May to get things in order. The advice of being higher and not on the collar bone is great advice. I already shoot with a PAST recoil pad and it HELPS. I was given a bipod that I believe extends to 9". Would that be enough, or should I consider one a little taller??

The reason I didn't mention the actual cartridge is, well it isn't one. I'm actually shooting an Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress 50cal. I'm charging with 180grs of propellant, sending a 300gr bullet at 2,300fps. It recoils hard.

The advice of getting your body and chest higher off the ground is good advice.
It is slightly harder to get a steadier hold, and slightly less accurate than if you were as low as possible, but I too find that it helps me with dealing with the recoil.

I really appreciate the advice. The shoot I'll be attending, will be 200, 300 and 600yds. Had it only been to 200, I could reduce my charge for more tolerable recoil. Fortunately I'll have time to practice prone before the shoot. If the first round doesn't push my shoulder down between my knees....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.