Picatinny Rails

G

Does anyone know who makes a Picatinny Rail or similar rail
for the Savage 110FP Tactical? Are these rails as good as they say? Or are they just used for cosmetics?(Look what I got)

Sniper1,

Badger Ordnance now makes their maximized scope rail for the Savage.

The "Picatinny" name refers to a standard pattern which allows you to transfer optics/sights from one rifle to another that uses the picatinny standard without moving the rings. Not a cool factor, a K.I.S.S. factor.

FatBoy...

I never tried the system, lets say I have 2 Remington 700's and 1 scope. What would I have to buy, and how would I swap the scope from 1 rifle to the other. What are the pro's and con's of this system. Thanks

Frank D

Frank,
You may also want to take a look at the Talbot QD bases/rings. It is a true quick detachment/return to zero everytime system that has served me well. He will also build you whatever moa bases that your require.

Luke

You have a couple of options.
1. Install identical steel Weaver bases and hope that the spacing of the holes in each receiver is identical - the critical distance is between the sets of holes. Therefore the cross-slots on the Weavers would be identical so you could move a scope back and forth. You want the distance between your rings to be a good fit with the distance between your cross-slots in the bases so that each cross-bolt is taking recoil evenly. Chances of that are between nil and none, but they might be close enough that a set of rings would fit snug fore and aft properly on both rifles. Cost would be minimal - maybe twenty bucks for the bases from Warne or Leupold and a set of Weaver style rings.

2. Install one-piece Ken Farrell bases on each rifle. About 55 bucks per unit. This is a tactical style base (rail) with 1/2 inch spacing on the cross-slots instead of the more closely spaced Picatinny spec. Then you could align a set of rings on a scope for a couple of slots on a base and tighten things down. You can move the scope to the other base quite nicely as the cross-slot spacing will be similar in each rail. You would also need Weaver style rings for the scope, that could be moderate cost (Warne Maximas, Leupold QRW's) or pretty spendy if you go with tacticals.

3. You could put Picatinny spec rails on each rifle, such as the Badgers or Nears - this would be about 130 bucks a rail or more. Then you could mount a set of Weaver style rings (these could range from cheap up to Badgers for 130+ bucks a set). Select a pair of cross-slots that the cross-bolts will fit in that will allow proper eye relief and support for the scope. Dont want the scope rings to make contact with the eyepiece or objective bells of the scope or the turret. Make sure that you push the rings forward in each slot as you tighten the side nut or bolt - towards the muzzle so that they are firmly butted against recoil movement. Costs are about $130-150 or so for each base plus you should have a 65 in/lb SEEKONK "t-handled" torque wrench to ensure that the rings are properly tightened (another 75 bucks or so).

The idea of one scope for two rifles works OK if you use the rifles for separate seasons or reasons. You may or may not be able to switch without much change of zero, usually some occurs.

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: Ian M ]

Leupold sells cross slot bases and QRW quick release rings or PRW fixed rings that mount to the cross slot bases. These are reasonably priced compared to some others.

I am not sure if they meet the full Picatinny specification, but they look and function the same.

Lightforce also makes a rail similar to the Picatinny rail in 20 MOA and 40 MOA taper.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.