Philny1, rockchucks and divine intervention

mtnwrunner

Every year, the first week of June, members of CIRCA (central idaho rockchuck association) meet for a week long shootfest in central idaho. One of the contests is a 1000 yard shoot at a 10 moa gong. Everyone pitches in 50 bucks and winner gets the pot---first one to hit it although everyone gets the same amount of shots.
You don't wind up with much money because the winner also has to buy everyone dinner and a nearby famous steak house. Which is usually like 300 bucks.
It was really windy this year (gee, wind in idaho??) and we got to the fourth round. I looked at everyone, put my hat on backwards and said, "This one is for Phil." The gong was hit.
Some of you may know that Phil Pomeroy---philny1 on this site----passed away earlier this year. I got to know him through several gun transactions over the years---he was a fellow lefty so i was always able to buy left handed rifles through him. We also shared a few hunting stories and long distance shooting info.
The rifle that I used this year was one that used to be his. It was a custom 300 ultra that I had bought from him and it is a great rifle. The very next day, I also got the long shot of the year at a rockchuck---1035 yards.
I'm telling you, Phil was there with me. I felt it and just had to smile.

Attachments

• DSC_0135.jpg
    DSC_0135.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0168.jpg
    DSC_0168.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0148.jpg
    DSC_0148.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 88
That's a great story and some awesome pictures. My longest rock chuck kill of the year was only 57 yards but with a bow (I've only had my bow since November and it's by far the best shot I've ever made). I need to get out and take my rifle with me now that the snow's finally melting in the mountains and do some true long range work.

Congratulations Randy.

I know that rifle well! Looks like you gave it a little additional war paint..

My good friend Phil carried that rifle to his lookout point on his last Elk hunt in Colorado. He quickly realized that he was just not healthy enough to lug such a heavy rifle..

Phil was with you that day, just as he is with me every day....

I will be using his favorite rifle on my next hunt, and rest assured, I will have the same feeling you had.

liltank---
Rifle is a Long Range Solutions 300 ultra.

--McMillan Stock
--Krieger 27 inch barrel with a 1-10 twist
--Vais brake
--Jewell Trigger
--Surgeon bolt handle
--nightforce 20 moa rail mount
--Larue rings
--cerakoted and microslicked by Ken Wotring
--vortex level
--And a 16 X Super Sniper (yeah, i know but i'll put it up against anything)

This baby shoots 210 grain bergers at 3100 with 88 grains of H1000.
Best group so far is 3 inches at 600 yards.

Randy

I thought that was an SS. I just wanted to ask before I made an assumption. Is that a pre-SWFA buy out, or after they bought the patent on the scope? I know they had some rough years with that scope.

Tank

It is after the patent.
I have a buddy who has one and thought what the heck, i'll give it a try. I have other very high end scopes on other rifles but i wanted to try the SS.
The glass is mediocre during darker moments but i am super impressed with the durability and reliability. So far, it has always returned to zero with the same POI.
There is just no way to beat it for the money and even that aside---it is a great scope.

Great story and congrats on the "awards"! Sounds like a good time with some good memories.

Randy~

I have a set of 30mm Leupold Rings and bases that are off your rifle. They're squirted in the same green as the barreled action. Phil must have replaced them with a rail and other rings while he used the rilfe. If you want them, I'll send them your way.

Joel, yes, I would love them and just let me know what you need for them, AND
Keep me in mind for any lefty rifles that come your way.

Take care, Randy

Randy~

I don't want any money for them, they belong with you.

I'm out of town until the weekend. I'll send them your way as soon as I get back.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.