What's your heaviest rockchuck?

goodgrouper

What\'s your heaviest rockchuck?

I have been hunting rockchucks now for about 4 years this year and have shot some big 'uns, but at a recent Idaho rockchuck contest, the winner took a 19 pounder!
What's the biggest chuck you guys have taken? Mine to date was about 13 pounds, and I had to shoot about 400 of them to get that big of one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Re: What\'s your heaviest rockchuck?

We shot one three seasons ago that weighted 15 lbs after taking a hit from a 7mm STW. He lost a little weight in the fight with that 140 gr Ballistic Tip so he probably was in the 15.5 lb range.

On average, I would say the chucks up here in Montana are in the 7 to 8 lb range most of the time. Not uncommon to see one over 10 pounds.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Not sure of the heaviest single groundhog but I did take about 300lbs on one late summer day. This photo is the morning take. Had 23 big fat boys killed before the day was done. Several were as big as beavers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

062245.jpg

I grew up in central Oregon and the ranchers would pay us to come out and clean out the Marmonts devistating the alpha fields. Some of them were really big especially the nursing mothers.

I never weighed one because we usually made such a mess of them with 12 gauges, my 22-250, and later on with 100 grain 3500 fps 270 rounds. The 270 completly blows them apart at under 250 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.