Did some rockchuck hunting today

remingtonman_25_06

My friend shot this chuck at about 20 yards with my 222 Rem and the 40g vlc at 3700fps.

ou5dza.jpg

I shot this one with my dads 25-06 and the 75g vmax at 3775fps, at 150 yards. That is the entrance hole, I put it right on his chest. The bullet did not even exit. Pretty good performance.

ou5k6o.jpg

That sux! + what gonehuntingagain said.

What powder are you using in the 222. I'm using 10X for 3600 w/the 40 Vmax and not pushing it at all. Shoots decent too...

I'm using 22g of IMR-4198. Its a max load for my rifle with this bullet. Averages 3700 with the ES of about 10. Very accurate, punches .1" to .2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, 90% of the time. Shoots .5" for 3 shots at 200 yards laying prone off the bipod. This is the only barnes bullet I'll even think of shooting. Pretty devastating performance from a little .222 with this bullet.

Thanks,

Maybe I'll try some of the 4198 and the little bullets. I use it with heavier bullets. The old REM 722 has a 26" barrel. Kind of nice....

Good shooting. Don't shoot too many this early though. They haven't had time to mate or ween pups yet. I usually wait until mid-april at the earliest locations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks like you finially got somewhat of a break in the weather for a change. Good to see you putting it to good use.

Also like buffalobob said, get ready for high and tight. My barber was in the Marine's. When I was just out of high school many years ago, I walked in one day and he asked, " how you want it cut", and I replied oh hell just cut it high and tight. LOL

Haven't made that mistake again since. Besides it does grow back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lucky !@#$@#$%@

I can't wait until the weather is good enough over here to go blast some!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]I could not agree more, when you and 4key think it is time let me and GG know and we will drag 7mmrhb up with us for some spring CHUCK fun.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
Good shooting. Don't shoot too many this early though. They haven't had time to mate or ween pups yet. I usually wait until mid-april at the earliest locations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]While I agree , spring fever is starting to set in and it is time to try and relieve the rigor from my trigger finger.
UB

[ QUOTE ]
I could not agree more, when you and 4key think it is time let me and GG know and we will drag 7mmrhb up with us for some spring CHUCK fun.
UB

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's shoot for around the beginning of April again - hopefully the weather will be just as good as it was last year for us!

4ked saw a chuck running around IN BOISE last week - talk about adding fuel to the fire...

I wished I woudl be here for this shoot. I was hoping to get with ss7mm and shoot the 7 AM and shoot my 300 RUM at a chuck at around 1K. That wont happen for me though, I leave in 3 weeks. **** it anyways. IT would be awesome to get together and throw lead around.

How does one shoot and measure a .1" group with bullets that are .224 or .1225 from center? A .1" group would pretty much look like a single 30 caliber hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.