Pete Lincoln Swaro query?

Aussie, the following are retail:
Swarovski 6-24x50 1614 Euro.
Zeiss 6-24x56 1599 Euro.
Zeiss Conquest6.5-20 1099 Euro
Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mk4 1519 Euro.
S&B 4-16x50PMII 1759 Euro.
all can be had for less by shopping around. Trade inc tax on the S&B PMII is 1245 Euro.
Pete

Thanks Pete
Interesting comparison - it would appear that the S&B are much more expensive in USA than europe and yet Zeiss is the reverse?
The 6-24 Zeiss can be purchased in US for $1400 USD cf over $2K USD on the Euro conversion. Maybe they are attempting to buy some market share there.
The Swaro and leupolds are cheaper here than Europe as well.
I can see why you go with the S&B when the prices are so similar!
I can buy Swaro or leupold or Zeiss for about 2/3 the price of S&B however.
There is a big difference between $2K and $3K AUD.
Thanks again for your insight.

I have had Swarovski, very nice glass but for my eyes Nightforce scopes are better. My wife wouldn't know a Nightforce from a China built scope so for fun I had her look through both the Swaro and Nightforce BR series (12-42) I have. She thought the Nightforce was much better (and each were focused to her eyes for the best focus). By better I mean as sharp or better and for sure brighter at high power settings. Not putting Swarovski down! They are great scopes! I just think the Nightforce BR series is as good, or better I think and they are less expensive.

A lot of 1000 yard shooters use the Nightforce BR series as well as heavy classes of short range BR. I shoot rimfire benchrest at 50 yards and quite a few of us rimfire shooters are switching over to Nightforce BR series scopes as long as you can make weight with them.

Everyone "sees" a little differently. The best thing to do before putting so much money down on scope is to look through them before you buy if at all possible. I bet one of them will stand out at least a little better for your eyes.

Opticaly i don't think there is any large range of difference between the lenses from S&B, Nightforce,Zeiss or Swarovski, you can add kahles also into that equation. all are first rate so it biols down to chosing a scope with the options you want. I want 1st Focal Plain reticle, 1/10th Miliradian adjustments, i want enough adjustment to reach 1000m with a 308 in 1 tuen of the turret, i don't need any more than 16x magnification as its mostly not usable due to mirage. I insist on 100% reliablity and that includes no zero wandering when turning the x's up and down. I need good low light performance as i hunt wild boar at night. I feel happy with the S&B as i know i can trust my life to thier equipment, the company has excellent customer service. I drive withing 20 miles of the S&B factory on my way top work. I will stick with them. If Zeiss made the conquest with a 30mm tube they would be on to a winner.
A Nightforce NXS that was in 1st focal plain would be an interesting developement, they already have a model available with 1/10th miliradian clicks.
Leupold, Nikkon, Doctor Optic and the better Bushnel(bausch & Lomb) Gerhard etc are all lesser in quality to the obeve mentioned manufacturers. They will do, but unfortunately for me, " That 'LL do, will not do here" .
I wouldn't pay full retail for anything, ive got some good contacts and am in the process of getting my FFL which means i get trade price direct soon.
Pete

Understand fully your criteria now.
What do you think of the MOA reticles which are available from some makers now?
MOA reticle combined with MOA turrets as compared with the MIL reticle and 1cm turret adjustment?
just wondering your opinion on this?
APB

Its all a question of numbers calculations, moa reticles and adjustments work fine, you could use a furlong reticle and half furlong adjustments and it would still work.
I like the miliradians because its all computation of 1's and 10's. i range in meters, 1 miliradian is 1m at 1000m, 1/10th miliradian is 1cm at 100m and 10 cm at 1000m, a man is approx 1m from waiste to top of head (hight differences are usualy more in the leg dept). a Roe deer is approx 1 miliradian at 250 meters top to bottom of body.
I can't understand why the US military range in meters and kilometers and then insist on converting back to fractions of inches and yards and adjusting in MOA. it adds a step to the process that is unnessecary.
I learned to range in m and km as a soldier, and it all just makes sense to stay metric, it just works easier.
Pete

well pete the zeiss conquest that is 3-12x56 is a 1st focal plane scope with a 30mm tube!!!
it costs around 800 in the USA

Funny that Zeiss don't offer that one in Europe, i guess they don't want to undermine the sales of thier more expensive models.
now if they produce a 6-24x50 conquest with a 30mm tube, 1st focal plain,1/10mil adjustments with a side paralax and sell it for under $1000 they will be on to a winner..
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.