perfect scope for 338 WM. ?

I put a Leupold 4.5-14x50 on my .340 Weatherby and am pleased with it, kind of depends on how open the country you will be hunting in is, but for all around use this combo is working well.

I put a Leupold 4.5-14x50 on my .340 Weatherby and am pleased with it, kind of depends on how open the country you will be hunting in is, but for all around use this combo is working well.

+1 leupold 4.5-14 is a great combination for the 338 win mag

Another to keep in mind is the vortex viper 6.5-20. This is what's on my 338wm and I am extremely impressed!

I have a Lepould 3.5 x10 with the Boone Crokett reticle on my 338 Win

My load is the 225 Accubond with Reloader 19

I have both a Leupold 4.5-14x40 and a 3.5-10x40. Both are excellent tools. Any quality mid range variable will work just fine. The rule of thumb for scopes is always "Buy once, cry once." In optics, you get exactly what you pay for, and cheap scopes are a recipe for disappointment and a ruined hunt.

Another to keep in mind is the vortex viper 6.5-20. This is what's on my 338wm and I am extremely impressed![/QUOTE]

I forgot about the Vortex, excellent pricing, warranty, clarity. I own 3 now and one NF. Not bragging just saying.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 on my Ruger 338 winmag. I'd never buy a Vortex, China gets more than enough of my earnings already.

If it was a lightish sporter, I'd go with the 3.5-10x40 B&C or CDS. If it was a bit heavier rifle, 26" barrel full-size type I'd go with the 4.5-14x40 with the same B&C or CDS. This fall I used the latter with the CDS turrets on a 7mm WSM. Didn't bother spinning the turret for either shot on my mule deer or elk. 375 yd deer held slightly high (300 yard zero) and my bull elk was a steep uphill 500 yard shot that I held about 6" over his back for the 21" drop. With the 338 you might find the B&C reticle might match up pretty well out to 500 yards and do a good job.

If you spooked an elk at 20 yards, 4.5 at the lowest power might be a bit much. If your going to be hunting in thick timber where close shots might be necessary, look for 2x or 3x on the low end.

The perfect scope - Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15. I have the 2-12x50 and that little red dot is awesome in dark timber.

Understood.....that's the same way I feel about giving money to the Germans.

Well the germans have been making quality optics for years...the chinese just started selling at higher price points. For me the chinese optics would be OK for shooting paper, but for shooting living animals that I've spent thousands to get in the cross hairs...well Vortex won't ever be on my guns. My opinion, you do what you feel comfortable with. :D

An optic for 338 Win ranges, I would go Nightforce 2.5-10x42 then the Vortex PST 2.5-10x44, zero stops are a must for any rifle I'm thrashing after elk with so is rugged reliability!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.