PDog taken at 1032 yards with 20 BR!!!

I took my first 1,000+ yard P-dog in the 90's with a 26" medium varmint barreled 25-06 and a 85gr NBT load, and same for the 1,031yd coyote. That was back in the old Varmint Hunter's Assoc days and Jamborees, but more recently, the LR dogs go to the 6mmAI but mostly the 22-250AI in 8 twist with 75-80gr bullets. While I have connected a couple of times with a 223Wydle 26" in 8 twist using 75s at 1,012-18, I have never attempted a 20 cal beyond or too 1,000.

Great Job!

What rifle scopes and reticles are folks using for 1,000-yard varminting?

Things like this: TS Customs 6 Dasher wearing Tangent Theta 525P w/ Gen2XR reticle.
O8x0N03h.jpg

For me when I get out there shooting rats and such the last thing I want to mess with is my camera and spotting scope. But maybe someday when the rats or chucks are out in force I'll record some shots.
My dad worked for the NJC (New Jersey Central) Railroad when I was just a boy 10-11-12-13 and he was the Yard Master of a Rail Yard in Mossic, PA. The river was right next to the yard. Back then the river was polluted from people throwing their garbage in the river and the rail yard always had grain/corn spilling out of cars.
The best environment for breading RATS. My dad would bring me there to work when he was on second shift. It was a "One yard Master" location. Didn't have electricity or phone. Had propane lights and coal heat with telegraph for communication. I learned Morris code at a young age. I also learned to shoot rats! Probably why the Marine Corps put me where they did. Knows coms and shoots. Had a model 49 Savage 22 pump and would shoot 50 rats in an evening on the river banks or in the rail yard. Taught me how to shoot up to 75 yds open sites on rats. My dad was there all by himself unless a train would come in to change cars on the tracks. He has shot thousands of rats with a model H&R 999 22 pistol, 16 gauge Ithaca, and the Savage Model 49. he bought it in 1949 for $49.00. I have many fond memories of my father teaching me to shoot those vermin The rifle has thousands of rounds threw it and is still very accurate. A little play in the pump slide. It was my first "Gunsmith" project 52 years ago. It was very worn, but looks better that the day new. Now it resides in our Game room and the only rifle there. A true piece of history and hundreds of happy memories with my dad!

Attachments

• Savage Model 49 . 22 s.l.lr.jpg
    Savage Model 49 . 22 s.l.lr.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Savage Model 49.jpg
    Savage Model 49.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 84
Man that is unreal. Just something for all us us to have a goal for.
Jill and I have a Ruger MarkII 77 that came out in 2004 with the .204. Its was a laminated stock/varmint barrel. I have shot many a chuck and Pdog with it. I did al the custom work on it myself and conformed a MDT Chassis to it. Latest 5 shot group test was 0.163 MOA @100yds after I had it re-crowned. Lapua brass .204, 26.8 gr of H4895, 39gr SBK. 3,700fps. I have taken chucks out to 500, but it has limits. Jill bangs steel out to 600.
The 20 Br with 4,000MV is transonic at around 875yds and subsonic at 975yrds. Then there is the WIND.
It always amazes us that when we see these super fantastic shots at 1K on Pdogs the shooter always has all this video/photo equipment for documentation. I would imagine this is expensive and to have a video/photo through a scope of the shot is almost unbelievable!
When we hunt we only have some great shots within the limits of the cartridge and stories. We might take a picture, with our phone if lucky, just to show the landscape.
This post is with a 20 BR 39gr SBK over 1K to hit a 4" Pdog, and believe it or not has all the electronic camera/video equipment and personnel to document.
I am not saying that I do not believe this story, but that I believe a shooter with a real good story that is really HUNTING and not documentation everything.
Nicely done 👊🏽 Hell of a shot!

I just want to clarify I wasn't the shooter. I posted because I'm impressed with a 20 cal hitting something that far. Sorry if there was any confusion.
Oh lol ok no worries. Still a hell of a story thank you. And nice shooting on his part 👍🏽😉

Though I have a 20BRA being built right now that might remedy that.
Get your hands on some RL15 its the pixie dust in mine and I know of others likes RL15 as well.
4350 and RL16 were to slow.
AA2520 and H4895 I suspect could do well also

What rifle scopes and reticles are folks using for 1,000-yard varminting?
My old scopes were 6-24x fine duplex, 8-32x target fine crosshair, same with 1/8 MOA dot, a couple of old BR 24x and 36x, and now 5-25x and a couple of 10-40x. All are SFP with fine cross wires and either MOA marks or mildot

My old scopes were 6-24x fine duplex, 8-32x target fine crosshair, same with 1/8 MOA dot, a couple of old BR 24x and 36x, and now 5-25x and a couple of 10-40x. All are SFP with fine cross wires and either MOA marks or mildot
Thanks for your kind reply. I have an old Burris Signature 8-32 that I recently moved to my target 22LR. Very fine cross hairs, and still crisp as can be. After studying alternatives, and having a finite budget, I just bought a Vortex 15-60 Golden Eagle for my long-distance varmint rig, which is a 28" Krieger 243 Win. (10" twist) on a blueprinted Interarms Mauser action and a laminated stock. I'm hoping this scope will help me get accurate on prairie dogs in the 500-1,000 yard range. If anyone has experience with the Golden Eagle, I'd love to hear about it.

An irreplaceable piece of shooting history right there. Great story, thanks for sharing. Oh and former Combat Medic here. I was assigned with the Scouts. Reality I did more duties of a Scout than Medic. Thank you for your service!
No man thanks for your service. Medics" RULE"!!!! a lot of us would not be hear to tell the tale without the Medics. They were combat also, but risked their lives to save others. Semper Fi!
I SALUTE You!!!!!!!