PDog taken at 1032 yards with 20 BR!!!

xsn10s

Man that is unreal. Just something for all us us to have a goal for.
Jill and I have a Ruger MarkII 77 that came out in 2004 with the .204. Its was a laminated stock/varmint barrel. I have shot many a chuck and Pdog with it. I did al the custom work on it myself and conformed a MDT Chassis to it. Latest 5 shot group test was 0.163 MOA @100yds after I had it re-crowned. Lapua brass .204, 26.8 gr of H4895, 39gr SBK. 3,700fps. I have taken chucks out to 500, but it has limits. Jill bangs steel out to 600.
The 20 Br with 4,000MV is transonic at around 875yds and subsonic at 975yrds. Then there is the WIND.
It always amazes us that when we see these super fantastic shots at 1K on Pdogs the shooter always has all this video/photo equipment for documentation. I would imagine this is expensive and to have a video/photo through a scope of the shot is almost unbelievable!
When we hunt we only have some great shots within the limits of the cartridge and stories. We might take a picture, with our phone if lucky, just to show the landscape.
This post is with a 20 BR 39gr SBK over 1K to hit a 4" Pdog, and believe it or not has all the electronic camera/video equipment and personnel to document.
I am not saying that I do not believe this story, but that I believe a shooter with a real good story that is really HUNTING and not documentation everything.

Last edited:
I have a 22LR bolt-action Savage that I've set up for target (laminated stock, trigger, barrel tuner, 8x32 scope). It's fun to lob 22 LRs at prairie dogs out to 250 yards or so. The longest I've managed with that was about 280 yards.

These days it's pretty easy. Just stick your phone up to the spotting scope and click the record button. ;)
Yup I did it on the cheap using a generic mount bought on amazon. Takes some fiddling to get a good fov but it works. Used an old Meopta spotter and could film over a mile away.

Man that is unreal. Just something for all us us to have a goal for.
Jill and I have a Ruger MarkII 77 that came out in 2004 with the .204. Its was a laminated stock/varmint barrel. I have shot many a chuck and Pdog with it. I did al the custom work on it myself and conformed a MDT Chassis to it. Latest 5 shot group test was 0.163 MOA @100yds after I had it re-crowned. Lapua brass .204, 26.8 gr of H4895, 39gr SBK. 3,700fps. I have taken chucks out to 500, but it has limits. Jill bangs steel out to 600.
The 20 Br with 4,000MV is transonic at around 875yds and subsonic at 975yrds. Then there is the WIND.
It always amazes us that when we see these super fantastic shots at 1K on Pdogs the shooter always has all this video/photo equipment for documentation. I would imagine this is expensive and to have a video/photo through a scope of the shot is almost unbelievable!
When we hunt we only have some great shots within the limits of the cartridge and stories. We might take a picture, with our phone if lucky, just to show the landscape.
This post is with a 20 BR 39gr SBK over 1K to hit a 4" Pdog, and believe it or not has all the electronic camera/video equipment and personnel to document.
I am not saying that I do not believe this story, but that I believe a shooter with a real good story that is really HUNTING and not documentation everything.
For me when I get out there shooting rats and such the last thing I want to mess with is my camera and spotting scope. But maybe someday when the rats or chucks are out in force I'll record some shots.

And I thought I was doing good shooting a dog at 1002 yards with my 22-250. Congratulations! My best with 204 is about 600 yards
I'd consider that a great shot. What load and rig? I keep debating on getting a fast twist 22-250 barrel.

I shoot prairie dogs with a 26" 22-250AI and a 28" 243 Win. The AI shoots as fast as a 22 Swift (close to 4,000 fps), so it shoots real flat out to 500 yards. The 243 bullets still carry better; I favor that for the longer shots. I've shot prairie dogs at over 500 yards in a crosswind, just holding Kentucky windage, with the 243. I'll probably "improve" that rifle someday soon. I love the AIs. . . .

Killed lots of pdogs past 1000yds with quite a lot of my rifles off a field bipod and rear bag, but none that far with a 20cal yet. Though I have a 20BRA being built right now that might remedy that. On my towns, its first round hit, or go home though. They certainly don't hang around for 4 shots! ... and that's even when I'm using a suppressor, which I almost always do. :) Boy I wish they did just sit there and let me keep launching.

Killed lots of pdogs past 1000yds with quite a lot of my rifles off a field bipod and rear bag, but none that far with a 20cal yet. Though I have a 20BRA being built right now that might remedy that. On my towns, its first round hit, or go home though. They certainly don't hang around for 4 shots! ... and that's even when I'm using a suppressor, which I almost always do. :) Boy I wish they did just sit there and let me keep launching.
I haven't got to hunt Pdogs yet but for chucks it depends on time of year or chuck. I've noticed early on even the older chucks will come out to investigate the noise from firing a rifle. Other times they spot you 600 yards or more and won't give me a shot. Makes for interesting hunting lol.