pda's going bye bye what do we use now????

Some of these PPC PDA's are pretty cheap on ebay...there's quite a supply of used PPC's PDA's out there (typically reccomended over the Palm PDAs), and many of them are pretty cheap. I've purchased several off ebay over the years.

I am running two BUT have upgraded to the bigger battery. The answer is in spares--in spades.

Laus Deo
overbore

I got a good deal on a new TDS recon on ebay a while back. I will run exbal for windows on it. It will be my hunting PDA since it is rugged, waterproof, and has a temperature rating to -22 degrees.

Since some of the new smartphones will run windows and I am in the market for a new phone, I might try one. It would work great for the office.

There are still many options out there and ebay has a few good deals. As for the recon, I lucked out and a guy was selling it for a quarter the typical price. If one can afford to wait, a good deal will present itself.

I am running two BUT have upgraded to the bigger battery. The answer is in spares--in spades.

Laus Deo
overbore

Spares, yes... They are pretty cheap. I have at least one spare extended life batt. with me at all times when hunting on foot and have one or two more back at the car and I can charge the batteries off the car, or can use a wall charger I bring with or can hook up to a USB port on a computer to charge if I end up somewhere that's feasible for some odd reason, etc. I'm a big believer in redundant options to keep the electronics going...:rolleyes: I'm also the guy that only uses the Energizer Lithium AA's batts rather than alkaline becuase they work much better in low temps and hold more power and are much lighter and every battery that I take gets hooked up to the volt meter on the multimeter to make sure I'm packing fully charged batteries before I go, etc. I've had too many friends who pulled their headlamps out at midnight starting for the summit only to find their batts were dead and they didn't have any spares. Back when I was jumping we were pretty diligent about making sure switches on electronic equipment was taped in the off position until use and spare batts were stored in such a way that they wouldn't drain as the radio might be only way you could contact 'civilization', etc. Just been drummed into me I guess, for better or worse...:rolleyes:

Spares, yes... They are pretty cheap. I have at least one spare extended life batt. with me at all times when hunting on foot and have one or two more back at the car and I can charge the batteries off the car, or can use a wall charger I bring with or can hook up to a USB port on a computer to charge if I end up somewhere that's feasible for some odd reason, etc. I'm a big believer in redundant options to keep the electronics going...:rolleyes: I'm also the guy that only uses the Energizer Lithium AA's batts rather than alkaline becuase they work much better in low temps and hold more power and are much lighter and every battery that I take gets hooked up to the volt meter on the multimeter to make sure I'm packing fully charged batteries before I go, etc. I've had too many friends who pulled their headlamps out at midnight starting for the summit only to find their batts were dead and they didn't have any spares. Back when I was jumping we were pretty diligent about making sure switches on electronic equipment was taped in the off position until use and spare batts were stored in such a way that they wouldn't drain as the radio might be only way you could contact 'civilization', etc. Just been drummed into me I guess, for better or worse...:rolleyes:

Have done some serious long range sailing-500-700 miles to port ( or starboard ) for spares is not an option. I go with older but reliable technologies ; 1995 no computer diesel truck, 1960's M1A, 1919 Browning- tough, ugly, reliable---but enough about me----

Laus Deo
overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.