Which PDA do you use?

rolltide

Hey guys, I read a lot here, and I'm getting into the longer range shooting more and more. Often, I read accounts where you are using a PDA to assist in the scope adjustments. I like the idea of using a PDA to assist in the field, but I'm not sure which way to go. I've heard people talk about going the cheap route, Palm Zire for $70 bucks, to the top end versions from Palm, HP, Dell etc.

I would really appreciate your help here as the only experience I have is with an older Palm that no longer works correctly.

As for the uses, I have the land available to shoot out to 900, but aside from a couple of 1000yd matches at Oak Ridge, I have little experience past 300.

Thanks again for your help,

Chris

Hello, I have a Palm Tungsten T2. Currently I just use a Free excel spreadsheet program on the Palm but would like to get an actual program for it. That palm cost me $140 a year ago. The excel program runs a little slow takes about 5 seconds to change the zero and about 30seconds if you change all the variables. A palm with any slower processor would probably be a little anoying with my program.

I use a Dell X51 with Exbal. Too bad I can't see the screen outside in the sun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have the Dell Axim X30, have the same problem with this cheaper model as Ankeny does with his higher end model. Got the Nightforce program, it is based on XBAL and relatively easy to get into. More I use it the more I trust it.
If you are in a blind waiting for a deer you can while away time with a few thousand games of Solitair - **** thing is sure hard to win.

I now use a Palm Z22 (the entry level Palm) and the PSSF program for my long range shooting.

The only negative for the Palm Z22 is that the screen needs to be shaded in full sunlight. Otherwise, it's a gem.

PSSF - Sharpshooter Friend, is a free Russian program that runs well on the Z22 and on the more expensive models.

To download PSSF, go to http://www.freewarepalm.com/calculator/pocketssf(sharpshooterfriend).shtml

"Description:
Ballistic calculator based on equations from A. Pejsa.
Support non metric units, subsonic velocities, databases for used bullets and weapon. Many features for work with Mil-Dot reticle (including come-up corrections).

Main features:
- Solve vertical & horizontal corrections, needed for successful shooting
- Solve B.C. from result of practical shooting
- Database of used weapon
- Database of used bullets
- Mil-Dot calculator

Nice things:
- Support non metric units: inches, yards, fps, gr, inHg, hPa, Fahrenheit degree
- Different program styles: military, hunting and sport
- Solve come-up corrections (from previous shot to current)
- Show Mil-Dot reticle with ***
- Interface optimized for fast input of data"

It also fully supports metric units and mixes of metric and imperial, and corrects for input target elevation angles, station pressure, temp. etc. About the only omission that comes to mind is a lack of RH input but that is inconsequential.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are in a blind waiting for a deer you can while away time with a few thousand games of Solitair - **** thing is sure hard to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

The secret is to deal until you get a couple of Aces and some face cards showing along with at least one 2. Increases the odds quite a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Can't take a magazine to the stall at work but they haven't caught on to the PDA!!

Back on track, I have an Ipaq w/bluetooth for the GPS and Trimbles EZ Map for keeping me informed of where I'm supposed to be.

Getting a really Loooooong Range Rifle sometime before spring so will be looking for some software to help out. Exbal seems to be popular along with the Nightforce software.

My old knoggin needs the most user friendly version.

Any recommendations.

Iv'e a Palm Tungsten T2, so far it has functioned fine although I keep it out of our "fine" UK weather as much as possible bringing it out only when I need to do a calculation on Exbal. The screen is a little bright for my taste, I think you can alter the brightness, but haven't got round to that yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I also have "the thing" on memory card as a back up but this works very slowly as opposed to Exbal on this PDA. It would be nice is Palm made a weatherproof cover! At the moment I use an outdoor type mobile phone case to protect it.

daj,
I've downloaded that link and unzipped it...I'm stumped at how to run it....will it run on a pc? ...any clues gratefully received!

rolltide,
Dell Axim X50V... you can't go wrong, as of last month it was the fastest processor you can get on a PDA. I all depends of weather you need all the features or not. I paid over $500.00 for mine with some accessories but they can be had for a lot less... www.ebay.com
I took the picture down below to show how readable it is under the sun, believe me it's much more clear than what the picture shows. You can see it's running Exbal and I really like it. Ok! it's also running the Bible in English and Spanish! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's got many features, can use a wireless GPS ETC. ETC. here is some info about it:

[ QUOTE ]
What does it have on the inside?

Microsoft® Windows MobileTM 2003 Second Edition operating system with Windows Media Player 10 Mobile