PCDI Gunsmith course, gunsmith's oppinions wanted.

Sasquatch

PCDI Gunsmith course, gunsmith\'s oppinions wanted.

I am wanting to do more of my own gunsmithing and possibly open a shop in the future. Right now I do complete take down and cleaning jobs on my pump shotgun, Remington 700 rifles, single shot shotguns, Marlin 917vs bolt action rifle, Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin Model 60 semi-auto. Using a blowup picture and parts list for the model 60, I ordered all the parts and rebuilt the action and bolt because the guy that gave me the rifle had destroyed it before. THe barrel was still good and I got a good shooting .22 and the gunsmithing bug out of it. I know that there are several gunsmiths on this sight and I would like any or your input on the value of the PCDI courses that are advertised on T.V.

I currently work in a machine shop doing work with both manual and CNC lathes and a manual mill.

Would this class along with my work in the machine shop be something that would make me stand out as an applicant for an apprenticeship?

Re: PCDI Gunsmith course, gunsmith\'s oppinions wanted.

I can give you a little advise on this subject. (31 years making a living as a gunsmith) First gather all the books you can find on gunsmithing, Brownell's has several good ones,on chambering and several called Gun Kinks, pick up parts catalogs from Gunparts Corp., Western gunparts, any others, not just new ones but old ones, they have exploded views and listings of house brands. you will never have enough books. old NRA mag's. have the same exploded views in them. keep on the look out for shops going out of business you may be able to get their old books and tooling.
Some shops work on all types of firearms they try to do it all and most of their work is finding out the problem and then replacing parts. Other shops build or modify firearms to meet customers requirements this is where your experience as a machinist will come in you can make parts for obsolete firearms and do some fine tunning. Its a tough way to make a living but you can if you work the hours, be fair on your prices but don't under cut your self, don't give delivery dates you can't make and if your not sure about something ask. I would recommend you pick one type of firearm to become an expert on Rifle, shotgun, pistol, black powder, or air and work on them. start with the 10-22 and thread the receiver for a good barrel,stainless broach cut (26" long full bull,Target crown) build a set of scope rings (redfield style) for it. replace the trigger with Volquartsen trigger group, jewel the bolt, put on a good piece of wood from(Richards Micro-fit and you'll have a $800-$1200 dollar gun (if it shoots) If you know how fire lap the barrel and make sure the crown is square you should see a perfect star after firing 20 rounds. Its all common sense and patience. Good Luck Longtooth

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.