Gunsmith

sure shot

Does anyone know of a good smith in the Phiadelphia area Delaware,Chester,or Montgomery County? The guy i go to now has been very sick and is getting up there in age /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif He is a good smith but with his health conditions he is hardly at work and his turnover time is like waching paint dry. I would like to find another smith in the area that does good work and has good turnover time. Recomandations please!

Don't know any in the Phila area but doesn't Mr. Hammond ( a BR smith ) live in York?

Do what I do.. ship to Chris Matthews ([email protected]) .. no FFL required if the rifle is going for repairs... all you have is shipping cost and these days it is cheaper than driving with the fuel prices....

I can't find a smith around here anyware /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've been out looking for the past 4 hours!!! Gunsmiths are a dieing breed in this neck of the woods and it's a shame. All I need right now is a Badger bolt knob installed. I even went to 3 machine shops and got turned down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif that is BULL $H!T. Worst part about it is i used to work in a machine shop and could install it myself if i had the tools. AHHHHH!!!

Tommy B- I live in Montgomery County (Telford) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif and I use Michael Hane in Zieglerville, Pa. (610)287-5318 He has done a lot of 'smithin' for me. Rebarrels, rechambers, and refinishing. He parks and moly's real nice. He did an Interarms MK 10 action for me in 30-338 winchester and although I haven't shot it past 300yds yet, it groups sub-MOA with 168SMK's. Give mike a call and tell him Gerry sent you. Be sure to pin him on a dead-line or he'll take his time. He will move you to the front of the line if you ask him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Telford HUH... I used to live in Quakertown then Coopersburg/Emmaus before I moved west.. nice area A LOT of people and 309 is a circus of idiot drivers!!! LOL
wow 30-338 for that area.. just a tad over kill huh....bet thaT 168 SIZZLES PRETTY GOOD... You must use it out of Montgomery and Bucks County isn't that shotgun only??

Sure did see my fair share of big bucks there.. to bad they were on everyones private property...

There was a smith in the allentown area but I forget his name.. it was German if I remember correctly....

anywho.. hope you have some area in the Pocono's or upper NE or Upper North Central area to strech the legs of that boomer.....

Rick, I know the area very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I had the 30-338 built for my Colorado Elk trips that I do every year since 1988!! Actually, I really like the big boomers to play with. I also shoot my 30-378 and 300 win mag a lot. I usually do most of my hunting with my TC 15" 338-06 or 375JDJ. This was the first year I hunted with a rifle for white-tail in about 7 yrs. The poor deer didn't know what happened! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've taken alot with TC and S&W revolvers, and the Bow-my primary weapon in Bucks and Montgomery County. I got 11 doe and 1 buck with the Bow in 2001. All my friends had meat for a long time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Deer are like rats here in Montco and Bucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Long range rifle shooting is fun, but killing a big whitetail up close and personal is a real jolt of adrenalin. I shoot across the course Hi-power with my HBAR and a custom Win M70 bolt gun in 223 (75gr Hornady and Varget). I don't shoot the open sites very well anymore though. Turning 50 last year was tough on the old body and eyes, but I never really was a great position shooter;very hot and cold, never consistant. Last year was the first we took horses for Elk-each previous year was via backpack. I shot my 6x6 (175yds honest!) with my JDJ 12 miles from the truck; OUCH! It took fours of 2 days to bring him off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Anyway, the 168 is extremely accurate for a medium weight sporter for me.It's averaging 3100fps from the 25" barrel. Sub MOA on a caliber like this keeps me very happy. I wish I could consistantly get my 30-378 to group as well. I have trouble keeping the action screws and Mbrake tight under recoil. I have to keep checking things all the time. The only German gunsmith I know is in Q-town. His name is Ernie Lambrecht and he has to be 100 years old, but still smiths and sells guns. Hey, let me know if you ever need someone to hunt Elk with!! I have 2 hardcore friends who hunt there with me every year. Gerry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.