Passing on reloading skills

I started my children off reloading years ago and they are still reloading. They were started on LeeLoaders, they learned how to set the primers, dump powder, seat bullets the simple way. All of the equipment a person needs to load with (except primer, shot, powder) is in the little kit. After they had loaded a few hundred, maybe a thousand we started slow on a "C" type press but by then they knew how to load and only had to work out the equipment part. I still think if people would start out on the simple stuff lots of problems encountered would go away. Plus you can take it to the range and tweek loads there if your recipes do not work out. I have loaded in the back of a camper on CO. elk hunts with one of these. Standard calibers are sold over the counter but Lee will make you whatever caliber you like in a couple of weeks. Happy shooting.

I started my children off reloading years ago and they are still reloading. They were started on LeeLoaders, they learned how to set the primers, dump powder, seat bullets the simple way. All of the equipment a person needs to load with (except primer, shot, powder) is in the little kit. After they had loaded a few hundred, maybe a thousand we started slow on a "C" type press but by then they knew how to load and only had to work out the equipment part. I still think if people would start out on the simple stuff lots of problems encountered would go away. Plus you can take it to the range and tweek loads there if your recipes do not work out. I have loaded in the back of a camper on CO. elk hunts with one of these. Standard calibers are sold over the counter but Lee will make you whatever caliber you like in a couple of weeks. Happy shooting.

Wow, I can't believe that I didn't think of that for my grandkids….That's how I started out in the '60's!

Thanks for "slapping" me into a state of awareness…..I now have a mission! memtb

Wow, I can't believe that I didn't think of that for my grandkids….That's how I started out in the '60's!

Thanks for "slapping" me into a state of awareness…..I now have a mission! memtb
Even us old blind guys find an acorn once in a while. I don't know why these are not as popular as they once were, some of my best memories are helping my kids hammer home components. The memories of the excitement they exhibited when shooting the loads they created is priceless. Happy shooting.

I think it falls under the 1st world problems syndrome. Reloading is a means to an end or an addiction or both. If reloading doesn't check a box for someone then there is simply no reason for someone to make the time and space investment. I don't tie my own flies although I have tied thousands in the past.

I have friends that hunt and I have offered to loan my old equipment or use of my reloading room. They just buy a couple of boxes of bullets instead just like I stop by the fly shop and grab a dozen flies. I also don't build my own arrows for archery hunting. Folks have the opportunity to do many other things with their time and reloading just isn't at the top of the list.

When I started reloading I had more time than money. My girlfriend bought me a complete RCBS kit for $199 for Christmas. Because of funds at the time, I didn't have a multitude of competing things I could be doing. I didn't have atv, sxs, boat, raft, cabin, house, rentals, motorcycles, cars, trucks, kids, elderly parents, a business and a regular job. I don't think I would be doing it today if I hadn't learned to reload when I had fewer distractions and fewer opportunities.
Today it has clearly progressed to an all out addiction.

Opportunities just seem to be greater these days for the younger generation. I am not entirely sure I can fault them for picking another opportunity over reloading. I can kind of see the end of the world argument, but I am not sure reloading is the first skill people are missing in that scenario.

Another aspect is teaching basics and letting someone progress through the process naturally. I have been at it for 30+ years and it is hard to just show someone the basics they need to know to get started. If you show them too much it just seems daunting and ridiculously expensive. Most of the things we dwell on just aren't relevant to someone getting started. They don't need $300 neck sizing dies with a micrometer seater, they don't need to figure out neck tension, they don't need to worry about shoulder set back, they don't need to anneal, they don't need to worry about seating depth, they don't need a $600 scale or a supertrickler. We sometimes make it look like rebuilding an aircraft jet engine and certifying it for flight. And then to justify our anal addiction we make it sound super dangerous.

In reality it is pretty **** simple and safe if you just know the basics and respect the reloading manual loads. When someone wants to see how to reload I dig out my $199 setup ($600 in today's dollars) and I show them the basics. If that is too much then there isn't any reason to go any further.

There is Youtube today, so pretty easy to see most any simple task being done. If a guy starts a newbie off, with a simple straight wall pistol or rifle case, most any kid 12 years or up gonna figure it out, with mostly just the written instructions in an old loading manual.
YT is sometimes a useful tool, but as it is said, "no substitute for hands on experience ". The problem with YT is there is a bunch of conflicting and wrong info on it. How's a newbie supposed to know?

Gotta walk before you run, nice!

YT is sometimes a useful tool, but as it is said, "no substitute for hands on experience ". The problem with YT is there is a bunch of conflicting and wrong info on it. How's a newbie supposed to know?
Most any capable person supposed to figure out the correct way by watching youtube then, reading the written instructions in the die set or an old loading manual, is what i wrote. Not sure how ya missed the reading part but, anyways not too difficult for most kids.Good luck.

Most any capable person supposed to figure out the correct way by watching youtube then, reading the written instructions in the die set or an old loading manual, is what i wrote. Not sure how ya missed the reading part but, anyways not too difficult for most kids.Good luck.
I've been reloading for 52 years. I was speaking for newbies starting out. As you may know, there a bunch of differences between straight wall and bottle neck reloading procedures. The problem with YT is I've seen several of them that are not all that great at actually showing a good and (correct) way to do it. That said, it sometimes depends on the equipment used. "Correct" is an interesting word here. There's so much that is important to making cases last and knowing the intricacies and caveats. Few, if any, books actually tell this. This is the stuff that in-person instructions avail. You can't get it from a book.

Nine pages in three days, me thinks reloading might not be dying....?

Not too often I get to interact with somebody that has any interest in loading. When I do, it is instant comradery.

I have shown a whopping three folks how to load over the years, only one of those has his own press (Dillon 550) and such now. Another comes by and uses my equipment maybe twice a year.

Born in '89 I would guess I am a young buck compared to most on this thread. I started hanging around USPSA matches/practices and reloading about the same time... when I was five.
By nine I was shooting a hi-power every week and helping my dad load ammo for him and my older brother to shoot, about 1k rounds a week for years. My brother lost interest and no longer shoots or loads.

My dad has passed now, so I have all his equipment plus what I have accumulated on my own. Several good deals have come along picking up entire collections at estate sales over the years. Twice I have been given large setups with brass, components and all when someone's family member passed.... simply by being the only person the family knew that reloaded.

There are three Dillon 550's on the bench. In storage, a complete Hornady single stage kit, a complete Lee single stage kit, a couple Lyman turret presses, a couple Rock Chucker presses, and half dozen or so other misc. single stage presses most all of that has the various accoutrements to go with it.
I don't bring that up to brag, only to make a point.
IF somebody came along into my world that was serious about learning to load, they would get skills and equipment handed to them. For merely taking the time to learn and have interest. So far, all that extra equipment sits in totes in my attic.
Not many folks seem to be interested in loading. Ironically, plenty of folks around me that like to shoot, still haven't figured that one out.
In some ways, I can't say I am really any different... many skills are dying. Abundance promotes laziness.
In example, I have dozens of bullet molds, hundreds of pounds of lead, pots, lube/sizer, and everything else. I haven't cast a bullet since I was a kid. About as soon as I had a job and could afford to buy commercial bullets, I haven't cast one since. I suppose I still know how and retain the tooling if I needed to, but....again, the equipment sits in storage. God bless Missouri bullet company.

My own son is now six, he just completed with first 100rnd batch of .380acp on a 550. Under close supervision of course. Starting around four he has helped de-cap and swage primer pockets on lake city surplus brass. I can only hope he has a continuing interest in reloading/ shooting.
All the best to y'all. Thanks for starting an entertaining a lively discussion. This one got me thinking about things.... We folks that have the knowledge and passion for things certainly have some level of obligation/duty to pass it on.... my .02... worth that you paid.

Last edited:
I've been reloading for 52 years. I was speaking for newbies starting out. As you may know, there a bunch of differences between straight wall and bottle neck reloading procedures. The problem with YT is I've seen several of them that are not all that great at actually showing a good and (correct) way to do it. That said, it sometimes depends on the equipment used. "Correct" is an interesting word here. There's so much that is important to making cases last and knowing the intricacies and caveats. Few, if any, books actually tell this. This is the stuff that in-person instructions avail. You can't get it from a book.
100% Manuals are great, but no replacement for experienced hands showing you the way. Particularly,
knowing the intricacies and caveats

Not too often I get to interact with somebody that has any interest in loading. When I do, it is instant comradery.

I have shown a whopping three folks how to load over the years, only one of those has his own press (Dillon 550) and such now. Another comes by and uses my equipment maybe twice a year.

Born in '89 I would guess I am a young buck compared to most on this thread. I started hanging around USPSA matches/practices and reloading about the same time... when I was five.
By nine I was shooting a hi-power every week and helping my dad load ammo for him and my older brother to shoot, about 1k rounds a week for years. My brother lost interest and no longer shoots or loads.

My dad has passed now, so I have all his equipment plus what I have accumulated on my own. Several good deals have come along picking up entire collections at estate sales over the years. Twice I have been given large setups with brass, components and all when someone's family member passed.... simply by being the only person the family knew that reloaded.

There are three Dillon 550's on the bench. In storage, a complete Hornady single stage kit, a complete Lee single stage kit, a couple Lyman turret presses, a couple Rock Chucker presses, and half dozen or so other misc. single stage presses most all of that has the various accoutrements to go with it.
IF somebody came along into my world that was serious about learning to load, they would get skills and equipment handed to them. For merely taking the time to learn and have interest. So far, all that extra equipment sits in totes in my attic.
Not many folks seem to be interested in loading. Ironically, plenty of folks around me that like to shoot, still haven't figured that one out.
In some ways, I can't say I am really any different... many skills are dying. Abundance promotes laziness.
In example, I have dozens of bullet molds, hundreds of pounds of lead, pots, lube/sizer, and everything else. I haven't cast a bullet since I was a kid. About as soon as I had a job and could afford to buy commercial bullets, I haven't cast one since. I suppose I still know how and retain the tooling if I needed to, but....again, the equipment sits in storage. God bless Missouri bullet company.

My own son is now six, he just completed with first 100rnd batch of .380acp on a 550. Under close supervision of course. Starting around four he has helped de-cap and swage primer pockets on lake city surplus brass. I can only hope he has a continuing interest in reloading/ shooting.
All the best to y'all. Thanks for starting an entertaining a lively discussion. This one got me thinking about things.... We folks that have the knowledge and passion for things certainly have some level of obligation/duty to pass it on.... my .02... worth that you paid.
Well said.

Welcome to the madness! Sounds like you the makings of a nice legacy going. The folks in your area that don't take advantage of your generosity are losing out big time. It might be 9+ pages, but look at the actual number of new reloaders mentioned. Less than 25 or so total so far. For the life of me, I can't figure out why.🤨

Recent Posts