Painting a stock

I painted this one with camo paint from Ace and sponge from Michael's
IMG_1440.jpeg

I did these two with sponges and spray camo paint. I'd spray the paint on a plastic bag, dab the sponge in it, then on the stock. After I had them the way I wanted, I sprayed them with a matte clear coat. They have held up well.

IMG_5302.jpg
IMG_5308.jpg

Last edited:
I got tired of my boring black stocks.I painted a bunch of mine.It was easy and really gave them a different look than before.
View attachment 570702
View attachment 570703
View attachment 570704
I got tired of my boring black stocks.I painted a bunch of mine.It was easy and really gave them a different look than before.
View attachment 570702
View attachment 570703
View attachment 570704
That is top notch, looks just like hs precision stock I have

Thanks

Buck

Following with interest. I have several rifles with plain black Tupperware stocks that I'd like to enhance. A few comments stress the importance of good prep. What is the recommendation here?
Re; post #9

On my ABS stock (24 yrs old at the time), I washed with Dawn and hot water. After it was dry, I wiped it down with acetone. Then I just free-handed my airbrush with Testor's flat enamel. I used less than the equivalent of 2 bottles of paint.

On my carbon fiber stock (new) I applied the grip panels: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/stocky's-vg2-aggre-grip-panels.328360/

Then I sanded and cleaned it with acetone to remove all of the factory clear coat which allows the primer to lock into the carbon fiber. Fyi; it looks like $h!+ after you remove factory clear coat with acetone so don't freak out about it.

Then I applied Rustoleum oil base primer and Testor's (Rustoleum) flat colors free-hand with my airbrush. Fwiw; I think for this "Vine" pattern, it would have been faster to free-hand it with brushes rather than airbrush all the lines. I had to use some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to clean up some over spray edges on the color and primer. After the paint and primer cured for a few days, I hung the stock in the garage on a low humidity low wind day and sprayed several coats of matte clear coat enamel from wal mart.

Last edited:

Recent Posts