Packing meat out

Thats what I thought about a horse. I think it will be all I can do to haul me and a camp around. Everyone I know who has been said they spent the whole first week gasping for air with the least bit of a climb. I plan to go two weeks before season to get accustomed to the altitude and scout for sign. I can see just making a half mile on the first day and having to make camp and rest until the next day. I am going to count on being able to hire someone to pack the meat out to a cooler. I have not let myself get a fever like this for the last 17 years. My son will be 18 and off to college next year. He has prepaid college program and some scolarship money so he is on his own mostly. I plan to spend the $8000 a year that was my half of his private school cost on my dreams :)

If I was your age, I'd be a ..........:)

My grandson is 18 and 2 grandaughters that are teens as well.

Interestingly, I'm doing an out west Mule Deer hunt in NM near Corunna in mid-November but with a whole different set of parameters. Vehicles to ride in, house to stay in and I'm going with 3 other hunters, same guys I hunt with up here in Michugan.

I can't camp out as much as I'd like to. It's imperative that I sleep on a breathing machine every night, I have acute sleep apena so I need the 110 volt plug for the machine.

Fire extunguisher................It's dry here too. We are around 3 inches under average rainfall and the crops show the stress and of course my contract forage business is stressed as well.

A bright spot will be wheat straw. The stalks didn't head out real well so yields will be off but bailed wheat straw will be at a premium (I suspect that some livestock producers will be feeding it in addition to the hard to find hay).

I contracted 200 acres, 100 in rounds and 100 in small squares or about 300 4x5 rounds and 10,000 squares.

Not sure what the climate change is attributable to. I don't want to assume global warming or ozone layer disruption, I want to believe it's a normal cycle, but, something is definitely changed from previous years. I can see it in how the crops are maturing (early) the wheat matured before july and normally that is an August occurence, the migratory habits of the birds and the bugs themselves. This year we have fireflys before the sunner solstice. That's never occured for as long as I can remember and I'm 63.

The other thing I've noticed (and we have discussed around the dinner table) is the change in prevailing winds. In past years, out prevailing winds have been from the southwest to the northeast. That changed this year and now they come from the north-north east and blow toward the south-south west.

Something is up. I have no idea what and I don't want to venture a guess.

It is the same here. 10 out of the last 12 years have been drought conditions. Until the last few weeks we have had exceptional level drought. So dry the swamp went dry and and burned 470,000 acres. I read a book a few years back that predicted the central US and the west would turn to desert and the SE would look like the SW due to global warming. The coclusion was that we would not stop and by the time we take action it will be too late. Human survival would be unlikely past 2300 AD. It was so grim I had to go outside and take a deep breath and look up at a blue sky. I talked to the land owner of the club I hunted last year about a stand of pines the beetles were in due to drought stress. About 10% were affected then. He told me that the good lord would take care of his pines and not to worry about the lack of deer , the lord would provide more. We moved our club this year. I drove by last week and 90% of the pines were dead. You had best plan on this being the new normal :(

Sidecar

I can't camp out as much as I'd like to. It's imperative that I sleep on a breathing machine every night, I have acute sleep apena so I need the 110 volt plug for the machine.

My hunting trip last September was at 8,000 ft of elevation. The guy, Tom, who ended up being my hunt partner was using a cpap machine. Ran it off of a car battery that was hauled up by the horses. lightbulb

It's not too late for you.

............................................ I talked to the land owner of the club I hunted last year about a stand of pines the beetles were in due to drought stress. About 10% were affected then. He told me that the good lord would take care of his pines and not to worry about the lack of deer , the lord would provide more. We moved our club this year. I drove by last week and 90% of the pines were dead. You had best plan on this being the new normal :(

That is getting to be a BIG problem in CO - Durango to Pagosa Sp. areas also, but in the Blue spruce or what ever them big tall puppies are. Alot of the parking spots are dangerous for falling trees that have been killed but don't look like it yet. 2 years ago I backed my little trailer into a pull off and saw alot of saw dust on the ground-but no tops or limbs- (thought-**** tree poachers got another one) and did not think it was a problem since I been there 10 years in a row. As I dropped the trailer and started to pull off it dawned on me lightbulbit was not a tree poacher but a tree problem that had laid 2 biggies across the exact spot that I park in. I hooked up again and went to an open area /no trees that could reach my camping spot. Good thing I did cause a 10 degree NorEastern (LOL) with 60-mphr winds blew for 2 days.Talked the the G/W later and he warned me about every parking spot on the roads could have trees that were killed but did not look like it yet and could be blown down real easy. BE WARNED-WHEN IN CO.!!!!

Good luck on the hunt and the trees!

Sorry for Hijacking the thread...

Beetle killed trees are a North American problem not just Colorado. Just traveled through Banff National Park in Canada and was amazed and saddened by mile after mile of standing dead pine trees.

Utah has "confirmed" that 19 wildfires were started by target shooting in the last year.

The Spinger fire west of Colorado Springs is thought to be started by target shooting.

Colorado has a state wide ban on any fires that are not inside a vehicle or building.

Daveinjax, no need for matches just bring Hotdogs and marshmallows and you will be good to go for a hot meal....:D

Jack

I carry a can of tree paint I got from a Rayonier forester that I use to cover spots where my climber has nicked the tree. A few years ago I didn't worry about the beetles killing trees. I'm hunting south georgia and never saw whole stands of pines killed by beetles until the last 5 or 6 years. It is really sad to see things this way.

Who do we owe for this plague on our trees.

I feel sure pelosee and the boys will try to blame it on "W" but I'm thinking more like hug-a-tree-gore - LOL - that was drinking tea when he should have (back in the day) been looking out for the trees.:rolleyes:
What say you?
And, we have to watch out for the falling trees when "packing the meat out".

Dave ck your 'PMs'.

Hey Dave:

Where is "Flat Top" as in what state? What time of year are you going?

I BackCountry Archery in Idaho during September. Weather can get as high as 80 in the sun. You need to take at least 5 game bags. Quarter, bag, hang in a drainage or as shady a spot as you can find. Debone at least the hind quarters to save carrying the bone. Use walking sticks when hauling as they are worth there eight in gold where I hunt. If you have any questions, shoot me a note at [email protected].

Altitude not a problem if you take some precautions and leg into your hunt. Drink lots of water!! Take 3 Aleve a day. Have FUN!

Flat tops is a wilderness area in nw colorado. Gmu 24 area. I'm going to find an outfitter to pack out any elk I kill. I am planning for 2013 so I have 15 months to get in shape. I am also looking in sw colorado at gmu 75 / 751.? Don't know for sure yet where. They are both easy to draw and if I don't draw first rifle I can get an otc any elk tag for second rifle. The way things are going the whole state may burn before I get to go. I wish I could send some of the rain I got here the last two days. 10"+ yesterday and over 5" so far tonight! We had drought and now we have flooding!

Dave,

I'm sorry I see most aren't answering your most pressing question, and I don't have the answer either - the name of an outfitter/person for packing. I've hunted CO my whole life, but not the Flat Tops. I'd just start calling some outfitters, fish and game, dude ranches etc. As long as you don't sound like a "bad bet" - some strange wierdo, who is totally clueless on what they are getting into, you'll pretty quickly start getting referred around. The game wardens and biologists know the ranchers and outfitters. Many will be willing or know of someone who probably would be, especially if they already hunt/work the area. If you're polite, simple and to the point, and willing to pay a fair price, I'm sure you can come up with a few options without too much work. Google and networking on the phone is the way to go. You can also call a local feed store, etc. and someone will know someone. Some may not really want to do it, and will charge top dollar, others will be simple and down to earth and fit exactly what you need. I think you are barking up the right tree. Crazy to pack it out yourself that far when you don't have to - a few hundred $ will feel like the best $ you ever spent. Also agree on not hassling with the rent-a-horse thing - stranger, in strange land, with a strange horse - bad joo joo. Pack in, hunt, fill tag, get packed out - people do it all the time here, and many outfitters and ranchers are used to offering the service.

As you probably know, you may be hunting in 2 feet of snow and temps around zero, or it may be about 80 and sunny. In fact, if you are here 3 weeks, you'll probably have both temps and at least some significant snow.

Just a bit of unrequested advice that you can easily ignore, but having "been-there-done-that" I'd lay pretty good odds that if you stick to your two week prior pack in and solo Grizzly Adams adventure you'll have at least one "if I had to do it over again" thought. A one week solo DIY hunt is cool, 2 weeks solo back there in the middle of nowhere by yourself before opening day won't be near as much fun as it sounds (3 weeks total). You need to make sure you aren't burned out or demotivated before the season even begins. I may be wrong, and you may love it, but even the most hard-core, remote solo DIY guys I know agree it can drain you and get lonely and it's hard to keep that internal burn going every day. I've hunted solo many more times that I wanted. I'm a pretty driven, happy-to-be alone guy, but I have to admit that after several nights of coming back to camp when it's dark at 6pm and you sit around for hours by yourself - it isn't nearly as fun or trivial as it sounds at the PC here in July. You start realizing how much fun having a hunting buddy to shoot the breeze with is, how you actually miss the family some after a week or two, etc.

If the main goal is to acclimate - as mentioned, it may not take that long, but heck, if you have the time and money, why not. However, about anything, anywhere is CO is going to help you acclimate (it's all high, compared to FL). I'd be tempted to show up, do something in Glenwood Springs, Denver, anywhere for a couple days (hot springs, rent mountain bike, see the Royal Gorge, anything), then go hike in and spend 2,3,4 days scout around, test things out. Hike back out, take a break, go meet your outfitter who's going to pack you out, get advice from them, so visit Division of Wildlife, then maybe pack into a completely different area of the Flat Tops and see how that compares. Another option is find a forum (more likely a more CO specific, regular hunting one) and find a group hunting 1st Season, talk with them, and see if they'd mind you tagging along to watch-and-learn for a few days (you could learn their area, some tips, have some company, etc.). If not pre-arranged, you can likely bump into some folks hunting the first season while you're out there and many when they find out you're alone and not psycho, will at least chat you up, and many more will invite you to share their fire. I'd do any and all of those options before spending 3 weeks in some remote mountains by myself. I'm sure you can do it, I just think 3 weeks needlessly isolated will take a 4-5 star hunting trip down to a 2-3 star trip, just because...

Good on you though. Seize the opportunity and make some memories - hopefully all good ones :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts