Packing grease

plumeja

I have a brand new x-bolt and finally got to cleaning the packing grease out. I have been at it for almost an hour now. I used methhydrate brush and pack. Then switch to solvent with same brush and patch. Even let the solvent sit for 20 mind and hit it with the brush. The barrel is still dirty patches are coming out black brownish. Any thoughts?

I think with both of our techniques mentioned. It seems to be important to cover the gas escape holes on the action so it wont get on the stock...

Cosmoline is some nasty stuff... First thing I do with every new rifle is take it home and clean it, and scrub the bore. Good luck.

Plum, perhaps you could remove the stock prior to starting the cleaning if you haven't already. The mentioned cleaners will work, but some cleaners leave a hazy residue. A light wipe with some quality oil will help. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts