Pack rifle Idea

Blacktail

I have an older factory rem .308 heavy barrel i used to use for work and it got retired due to a promotion. Thinking bout having it turned into a lightweight pack rifle. It has a jewel trigger other than that is pretty stock. Any caliber ideas?

Depends what kind of long range rifle you want. A 6x284 would be great for light deer and antelope, for larger game, a 300WSM works well in a light package.

AJ

I have a 7 mm stw i love and it comes in around 9.25 pounds. The new guns would be for antelope, mule deer and blacktails.

I've got a 9 1/4# STW myself, but here's my packin' gun in 7-08.

Not a super, duper lightweight at 7lbs. 2 ozs, but balances perfect.

No slouch with 120's at 3160 in a 22" tube either.

http://
001-4.jpg

Give me some specs. Barrel taper/contour stock etc. That may be what i am looking for. I know i may be limited due to the short action. I thought about the 6.5 285 but wasnt sure if the action would support it.

Give me some specs. Barrel taper/contour stock etc.

Trued S/S Remington 700

23" Rock 9 twist fluted, .620 at the muzzle. Weighs 2lbs. 5 ozs.

McMillan Classic stock, weighs just under 30 ozs.

Leupold 2.5-8 with the B&C reticle in Talley lightweights.

I've got an extra Edge stock (no, not for sale) I can drop the barreled action in and lose 8 ozs.

I have done some mild research on the 7mm-08. shooting 162gr hornaday a-max ( b.c. of .625) or berger 168 VLDs ( b.c. of .617) would make an efficient rig. 7mm hunting bullets seem to have higher bc than 6.5 hunting bullets. seems like lapua is the only company that offers a 6.5 bullet with a bc over .600. However there could be others I dont know about. Just food for thought. 7-08 probably would be easy on the shoulder. You could also use same bolt face same brass, primers..... the only manditory changes would be bullets, barrell. If I were to build a long range pack gun for myself I would use the 7mm-08 seems to be an efficient cartridge that is not fancy or flashy but just gets the job done.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.