Pack suggetsions ?

Down Under Hunter

Just getting ready to get serious again in the field for another year.

I have been struggling to come up with the right pack to carry a rifle, tripod and gear combo and thought I'd throw the question out there ?

I personally am a big fan of the fanny packs. I hate having lots of straps on my shoulders. I also like to move hands free. Ofcourse I carry all the usual stuff we all do ie binos, knives, rear bag, pda, kestrel... the list gos on. I have been carrying my 338 on a custom rig harness that goes over both shoulders and makes a 14 lb gun carry like a dream. The one thing I struggle to find a spot on my back is my tripod. This is a must have for me.

I have looked at pics of eberlestock packs and worry about the scabbard hanging to low past your *** and digging into the dirt ? However it does have the right carrying capacity for the long range situation.

Can you guys suggest any other neat rig to carry this gear neatly without overkill ?

Many thanks fella's !

DUH

Mate go the eberlestock M3 operator or gunslinger they are both awsome packs and you will be surprised how they dont get in the road with the long scabarde. I saw the M3 yesterday at the shot show in Sydney ( what a waist of a show ) and it was awsome my mate already uses a gunslinger and i am ordering a M3 from the states as i type this . Will be great for back country work on Sambar and for Tahr in NZ.

JAWZ:)

Mate go the eberlestock M3 operator or gunslinger they are both awsome packs and you will be surprised how they dont get in the road with the long scabarde. I saw the M3 yesterday at the shot show in Sydney ( what a waist of a show ) and it was awsome my mate already uses a gunslinger and i am ordering a M3 from the states as i type this . Will be great for back country work on Sambar and for Tahr in NZ.

JAWZ:)

G'day mate !

Thanks for the tip. I am about 6 ' tall. How far past your south end did the scabbard hang ? As I dont need a pack really , just something to get my gear to and from I was worried about the bulk of the pack. Did you see the X1, which is their smallest pack with a scabbard ? Not sure if it will take the big gun though ?

Thanks again

DUH

Hey mate,
I bought a J105 last year and could not say enough good about it.
Look real close at these packs, they are great.
I have always been a fanny pack or small day packer type with the pack frame back at the truck.
On my daughters Elk hunt last year we hiked into some pretty rough country,
Riffle in scabbard with great comfort.
Harvested a Good bull and packed it out (with rifle in scabbard).;)

Guess I should say there was 3 other packers with us so we made it out in 1 long trip.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts