Packin' a handgun while packin' a pack'

royinidaho

Took a hike out back to set a target. Carried stuff in my LRH backpack. Also packed the XD-9 in its belt holster, concealed.

Guess what, they don't mate up well.

The hip belt/pads go over the holster.

What do you guys do?

Roy , I carry just about everywhere I go , if the gun is not to be hidden then I wear it on a drop down leg rig. The gun that gets carried more than any other is the Glock 21 which is a pretty big gun and not real easy to conceal so if the gun has to be hidden I carry a Glock 23 in a Galco "SkyOps" holster that puts the gun in the 4:30 position sort of just behind your hip , keeps it in reach and easly out of site.

If your carrying in the woods or out in the open then I recomend the leg holster , its out of the way and much more comfortable.

I put mine on the pack belt. I use a holster with a clip. Easy to move from pack to belt. If you run a search for "Colorado" you'll find a thread of mine from last fall (Back from Colorado). I think you can see the holster on the pack. I finished the deer with it. I also use a drop holster for my revolver. This doesn't interere with my pack belt.

I have a chest rig on my backpack, that holds the pistol. It's a gun fanny pack, where I clip the fanny pack to match clips on my pack's shoulder straps.

When I drop the pack, I can either lengthen the straps and wear the fanny pack, or I can take a little clip holster out of the fanny pack and attach it to my belt.

Shoulder holster has worked for me for over 3 decades. The one I like the best I had custom made and is perfect for carring a big bore revolver with or without a pack

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Plenty of good ideas.

I use a Don Hume holster that is similar to the Glaco COP 3 Slot, without the tab and snap.

I'll try some of your ideas.

Roy

I had the same problem and tried everthing.

Finally I realized it was the weight that was the problem.

Now I carry a Taurus Titanium in 44 specail ( It weighs 16 oz )
and it doesent matter where you carry it.

It only has 5 shots but it is for self defense and if you havent got it
done with 5 44 special rounds then one should stay at home.

J E CUSTOM

Roy

I had the same problem and tried everthing.

Finally I realized it was the weight that was the problem.

Now I carry a Taurus Titanium in 44 specail ( It weighs 16 oz )
and it doesent matter where you carry it.

It only has 5 shots but it is for self defense and if you havent got it
done with 5 44 special rounds then one should stay at home.

J E CUSTOM

I'm into the volume thing. Mine is 15 + 1. Even in 9mm that should amount to something, if I can get'em all off.:D

Also the XD9 subcompact is really light but the 15+1 seems to double the weight. I like that clip as it is one pinky finger longer that the 10 shot.

Yrs a go in PA I used to pack my big 44 mag in a shoulder holster when hiking. Had no problem with backpack as it was under my coat or camo coveralls. Pretty comfortable really. The shoulder rig was probably a Michael's cordura model.

If you have an idea on something you need made check with Dave at Quiet Hide Holsters
QuietHide Holsters.
He has made a pack for carrying my bolt action Striker and my falling block MOA, along with my hydration setup and a compartment for my spotting scope and misc stuff. Got it done in digi camo and it also has straps to mount onto a frame I use. He also made a holster for my Striker with different options for how it hangs, ie vert, or horizontal.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.