Crossing into Canada with a handgun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wasgas, Apr 11, 2012.

1. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

I will be crossing into Canada from Alaska and back to Alaska and was planning on taking along a Ruger Alaskan 44mag with a 2.5" barel. Does anyone know if this would be legal, the items I read make it sound like hunting handguns are legal but then also says they must be a 4" or longer barel? If not is there anyway to get a temporary pass?

2. dieseldoc

dieseldoc Well-Known Member

Don't even try.

3. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

Don't even try what?

4. Red hunter

Red hunter Well-Known Member

I went to Canada for a bear hunt and they said absolutely no hand guns allowed.

That is what I was told by the outfitter. Maybe check with the state dept.

5. dieseldoc

Why:: hand gun with barrel less than 105MM-4.1 inches is a prohibited device, its not restricted but PROHIBITED.
    If you want ---google canada fire arms laws-canada politics in canada-wikipedia-contents-item number 4-prohibited hand guns.
    If you do this and read it will tell you why.

How if you want to have a hand gun in Alaska and then travel to lower 48, I would suggest.
    contact a FFL dealer in Alaska and have your hand gun shipped from your lower 48 FFL to Alaska FFL dealer. But better check Alaska hand gun laws first
    I have been in and out of Canada for years hunting and found out they don't screw around with the laws. In fact last time when driving up on a non hunting trip they tore my PU apart looking for fire arms even when I said no, just because I had a NRA sticker on camper window

6. benopland

benopland Member

i have bear hunted there alot. canadians need a stack of paperwork to own a handgun. no way you will get in with one.

7. tomestone

tomestone Well-Known Member

prohibited firearm means a handgun that has a barrel equal to or less than 105 mm in length. Less than 4in.approx. good luck bringing one into CANADA.

8. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

9. tomestone

10. bedrock

bedrock Member

Do not even think about entering Canada with a handgun. There are no permits you can apply for, nothing. If you are caught with a handgun the best you can hope for is that you only lose the gun and pay a fine. You are not likely to lose your vehicle but there is a good chance you will never be allowed to enter Canada again and that may make it rather difficult if you plan to drive to the lower 48 sometime. It's not worth the risk just to feel "secure".

11. owlhoot

owlhoot Active Member

A good reason why we should have annexed Canada.

12. tomestone

Are you refering to the war of 1812 when we were invaded by USA.When we were upper and lower Canada then, you lossed and We burned your Whitehouse down.Where is your reference from?????

13. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

owlhoot

Re: Crossing into Canada with a handgun

A good reason why we should have annexed Canada.

Now, Now, boys and girls, let's play nice!
    After all the ones that really got the SHAFT were the Native Indians whom we slaughtered, starved and enslaved on BOTH sides of the border so that we could "ANNEX" their land.

Have a great day

Dave

14. dieseldoc

So what does this have to do with taking hand gun into
    Canada, what am I missing????

Charlie