Pack Goats

Finished up the goat hoof trimming stand. Pretty outrageous after looking at the puny little milking stands. :rolleyes:

It came together quite well.:) Scrounged junk lumber and stuff. Just used what I had laying around.

Made no trips to town or to neighbors to get stuff. Major success, I'd say. :)

The troops were on high alert when I hauled the thing down to the pasture gate. I suppose they were wondering what the old man was up to this time. . .

Note the similarity to the French head head choppin' gizmo. I figgered if one of 'em gave me trouble I'd turn 'em into taco meat. . . Had the machete readily available. :)

The process worked flawlessly. Three goats feet trimmed in about 20 minutes with no back pain.

No wrecks. No loss of temper. No nothing. Simply hold a can of sweet feed in front of them then dump in into the container in front. Simple as that!

First was the youngest/smallest. No problems.
Next was the milk goat doe. Again no problem. No pic though.
Finely the 195 pounder. Again no problem.
Lead 'em in the back and open the front when done. I'm liking this. . .
Looks good, i had a good laugh. I see that there is ramp in the front, the goats must not have reverse built in?? :D:D I gotta ask though, why go through the trouble of building the whole thing, when you could have just done it with them on the ground and save yourself a couple hours?? :rolleyes:

Take care and happy Easter!! :)

Looks good, i had a good laugh. I see that there is ramp in the front, the goats must not have reverse built in?? :D:D I gotta ask though, why go through the trouble of building the whole thing, when you could have just done it with them on the ground and save yourself a couple hours?? :rolleyes:

Add 30 years to your age and suddenly you will begin to appreciate little inventions like this or anything that helps with bad knees, backs, shoulders, etc. :)

Scot E.

I gotta ask though, why go through the trouble of building the whole thing, when you could have just done it with them on the ground and save yourself a couple hours?? :rolleyes:

Coupla hours? Took me all day!

Why? Goats don't like to be tied and don't hold still. If ya tie 'em to a hitchin' post it' around and around till ya run out of rope. Big hassle and bad language.

Tie along side a trailer it's only half that bad. Still not good.

Another method is to throw 'em and do it upside down. Throwing a 200# goat is for you young folks.:D

I'll trim probably 4 times a year. 4 x 0.5 hr = 2 hr/yr with no hassle.

Compare that to twice that time the old way with all the back breaking hassle.

Plus the thing can be use as a shooting bench. :cool:

AND what could I have done that day that would have been more fun? It was raining and work was done inside.

Coupla hours? Took me all day!

Why? Goats don't like to be tied and don't hold still. If ya tie 'em to a hitchin' post it' around and around till ya run out of rope. Big hassle and bad language.

Tie along side a trailer it's only half that bad. Still not good.

Another method is to throw 'em and do it upside down. Throwing a 200# goat is for you young folks.:D

I'll trim probably 4 times a year. 4 x 0.5 hr = 2 hr/yr with no hassle.

Compare that to twice that time the old way with all the back breaking hassle.

Plus the thing can be use as a shooting bench. :cool:

AND what could I have done that day that would have been more fun? It was raining and work was done inside.
Ah I see, in a way its like hand loading, expensive at first (or time consuming in your case) but in the long run pays off and saves money (and saves time in your case). Or am i completely off? Hope you had a great Easter Sunday guys.

Riley

Warming up this thread, preping for fall and huntin' season.

Have made some changes in the string.

Have settled in on 5. Figure that I should never need more than that even when an extra person goes along.

Only gonna pack 4 of 'em. The 5th is a baby, born this spring. He and keep up with the rest but belly aches a bunch.

From largest to smallest.

Morgan - Hey that's what the girl I bought him from called him.:D 3 year old pure Sannan and ~240 pounds. Just now finishing his custom built pack saddle. It's a "Decker" similar to the last one I made. Used 5/16" rebar instead of 5/16" 6061 aluminum on this one. Only about a pound heaver than a wooden cross-buck but a ton stronger and won't loosen. Its fully adjustable. I'm learning about fitting saddles to goats.:D

Goat #2 - Too ugly for a name. 3 year old LaMancha @ 175 pounds. These ugly suckers have no ears. I"ve convinced everyone around here that its the custom for the owner to chew their ears off when they are born. So far none of these dummies around here have questioned me. :rolleyes:

Goat #3 - Thing 1, 16 month old, pure Sannen @ 160 pounds. He was a baby two springs ago. By this time in 2014 he'll be well over 200 pounds. Gonna be a great goat. I'll pack him light this year.

Goat #4 - Another too ugly to name. 3 year old LaMancha @ 145 pounds. Not the biggest goat but a keeper nonetheless.

Goat #5 - Thing 2 or Shoestring. 7 months and 80+ pounds. "Shoestring" cause he unties your shoes every chance he gets. Won't pack him at all, he's just a kid.:rolleyes:

However he will have a very small soft pack maybe with gloves or something as it's illegal to use live decoys in Idaho. :rolleyes:

However, they won't be wearing those pack saddles 24-7. I figure on moving locations, if necessary, between two hours after sun up to 2 hours before sun down.

I have found no need, so far, to tether them at night. They hang within 30 yards or so. On the trail they string along with out leads in what ever order they sort out. It takes a couple of trips and some distance each trip for them to get their order sorted.

One they get their pecking order lined up they can be tied together in that same order. If tied out of order there's a bit of a tangle. Thus I don't tie them.

They are used to gun fire and don't flinch even with the 375 AM is set off.

The weather has broken. Hot stuff pretty much over. Two days of good rain in the general area. Thus beginning the second week in Sept. it to the hills for two+ days a week.

I will have 2 Woof tags, 1 deer tag, one elk tag and a bear tag. The main animal of interest is bro Woof. Anything else that presents itself and is for one reason or another, shootable, I'll take the shot.

I'll be in Idaho Unit 69 in Wolverine, Dan Creek, Flagg Knol and Jensen Creek areas.

I'll also spend some time in Driggs, Island Park and North Fork areas.

I'll be postin' pics and stuff.

Should be pretty fun.

An old man and his goats. . .and a coupla big rifles. . . :rolleyes:gun):D

I am on the fence about letting them go, but I might be selling my 2 goats. They 50/50 oberhasle alpine mix. I have a young family and a busy job so the goats aren't getting the time they deserve. These 2 went on 3 hunts last year and performed well. If I decide to sell, you guys will be the first to know. brent

I am on the fence about letting them go, but I might be selling my 2 goats. They 50/50 oberhasle alpine mix. I have a young family and a busy job so the goats aren't getting the time they deserve. These 2 went on 3 hunts last year and performed well. If I decide to sell, you guys will be the first to know. brent

NTBM (Not To Be Mean) You are thinking a bit like a girl i.e., my wife and the girls I got my goats from. Wife forces me, if I haven't visited with the goats, what ever that is, I have to go out and spend some time with them. Other wise wiffe holds a grudge.:rolleyes:

Goats are perfectly content when left alone with enough feed to keep them going and restrained enough to not be a bother to neighbors.

After a couple of goats have gone on two or three hunts they are worth way more than those who don't appreciate will pay.

Not until the point were I can't walk will I let these goats go.

BTW, if trained for it they will run to keep up with you when you're in a hurry.

I feel I have trained them well, they have been around a lot of dead stuff and will give it there all to keep up, The country I hunt is very demanding (salmon river breaks) So I am just missing the normal routine of PT for these guys before the season opens. I really enjoy them and that is why I am on the fence. It has been one hell of a fire season so up to this point I lacking on my elk scouting\preseason goat PT:rolleyes:

After spending a couple hours at Roy's house yesterday I came home and started looking up "pack goats". I read this whole thread and just finished it. After mentioning the goats to my wife and getting a lecture about it I think I might have to invest in a couple. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission right? :D

I wanted to see if there are any around and found an ad on Craigslist for a guy selling some alpine wethers for $15. Here it is:

Alpine Wethers

Roy- What do you think about these goats? After looking around different places it sounds like they would be good ones. My daughter is excited about the possibility of getting some new critters as we lost both our family dogs in the last year.

I am eager to try hunting with goats because it sounds like fun. I guess if I get some of those it will be a long time before I can use them for packing it sounds like. I will just keep looking for older ones I guess. Thanks for all the good info on this thread.

Brandon

Regardless of what people say goat breeds have different characteristics while under the general genus of being a goat.

A well conditioned goat will pack 1/3 of its weight pretty much all day over some tough terrain. More for short hauls.

To determine weight.

Weight = (girth x girth x distance from point of shoulder to base of tail)/300. Measurements in inches.

Sanaans are pretty much like an ox, as far as goats go. They follow well, are calm and easy to handle. They are the largest breed. My biggest goes about 240 and there are plenty larger. I just can't find 'em.

Sanaans are white or cream colored. Hunters don't seem to like their color as much as the other breed's

A down side of sanaans is that their feet need trimmed way too often.

Alpines are great also. My first goat was a 150 pound Alpine doe. Alpines seem to have a bit of an attitude when it comes to packing. They seem to have more "go". Feet also need trimming too often. It's hard to find a large Alpine around here.

I'm thinking 175 pounds is minimum for me. Personal preference.

The two LaManchas I have are great goats too. Feet don't need trimming as often. They have no ears and look a bit dorky.

The shorter the goat the shorter the fence needed. The two large ones easily clear a 5' fence. Way too **** often. Then they go straight for the wife's ornamental flower posts. Way bad juju.

A good goat trained to trail and pack is going for as much as $500 if some such sucker can be found. I pay 90 bucks for 70# babies which is way too much. But that's what they go for. Latino young lady coming out celebrations keep the price up.

Never get a single goat. Always get at least two. One goat is worse than being married to the wrong woman!

Oh, Sanaans are too **** vocal. This seems to go away as they age. By 3 years they are no more vocal than any other breed. Until then ya sure want to put a bark collar on the noisier ones.

Keep your eyes open and you'll come across something that can do ya service.

Also, they rent for $50.00/day with pack saddles. That's why I bought my own. I'm cheap. Plus I have a perfect pasture for goats. Nothing but browse. Horses and calves about starve on it.

Did a short pack to my fav shooting spot. Loaded sufficient to stay for 4-5 days except for shelter, pads and sleeping bag.

The idea was to get everything together, make a short trip and hike and do some drop validation. I had a bit of a time crunch as wiffie came home yesterday from a Hi-8-IL hernia repair job. Daughter was here tending and wanted to leave by 1300.

I got a late start but went anyway.

Beautiful morning. Brisk temps and zero wind. I shudda started earlier. :rolleyes:

First mistake was Cheerios for breakfast. Almost didn't make it up the hill, 20 min hike :rolleyes:). About ran out of steam, and I was packing nothing but a 14# rifle.

If I wouldn't have had to put down the 4th full sized goat I wouldn't have had to carry the rifle.

Immediately upon arriving home I changed my signature. :)

Upon unloading at the shooting spot the first order of business was FOOD! The wind had picked up to well over 10 mph which is typical.

A couple of panniers were set up as a wind brake. Less than a minute later Mountain House Beef Stew was soaking. The Optimus boils 2 cups of H2O inside of a minute. Impressive.

Everything I've eaten from Mtn House has been outstanding!

Upon getting the ol' sugar balanced things went darn good.

Never did shoot. Enjoyed the time on the mountain.

Its the first of buck season in this unit. The canyon road was full of some pretty rough lookin' outfits. Thus the string is dressed in color when not packing.

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• Goats Ready 2 Go.jpg
    Goats Ready 2 Go.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Goats on the hill.jpg
    Goats on the hill.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Goats Kitchen.jpg
    Goats Kitchen.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Goats Cooking wind break.jpg
    Goats Cooking wind break.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 169
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.