Out of adjustment?

b-dog

Got my Leupold vx3 6.5-20x50 LRP mounted on my bergara HMR. At 100 yards it was about 4" high and I was out of elivation a justment trying to Bring it down. My bases are Leupold 2 piece with 20 moa and rings are high. Do I need to shim? Any ideas

I am want to hunt so I would like to be able to zero at 100 yards. Any more ideas? I did not have much time to investigate before I had to leave...maybe a non 20 moa base?

You didn't mention what chambering. Also how far do you intend to shoot?

I was writing and posted to see you posted again. If you want it to be able to zero at 100 just get a zero degree picatinny. .

I crunched some values for a 6.5 Creedmoor. 140 berger @ 2800 for 2000 ft elevation 59 degrees etc. Zeroed for 100 yds with a zero degree rail. Leupold says you have 80 MOA of adjustment. That means you can shoot out to 1750 yds without a inclined rail.

308 with 168 berger @ 2800 pretty much the same. Can twist to 1750 yds.

Don't feel like crunching for the other offerings 450 bushmaster, 300 win mag, 22-250 or 6mm Creedmoor.

IMO switch the 20 degree rail for a 10 degree or even a zero degree rail.

Got my Leupold vx3 6.5-20x50 LRP mounted on my bergara HMR. At 100 yards it was about 4" high and I was out of elivation a justment trying to Bring it down. My bases are Leupold 2 piece with 20 moa and rings are high. Do I need to shim? Any ideas
You probably need a 0-10MOA base rather than the 20 MOA, or else just zero at 200yds and make note then of how high you are at 100.

If your intent is to shoot 400-1000yds, keep it as is and you'll be fine by just adjusting your zero accordingly.

If you're going to be shooting more in the 200-800yds range then go back to the 0-10MOA base and you'll be better off.

Kept feeling I missed something and I did. Funny what some sleep can do.... I mentioned you would have enough MOA adjustment out approx. 1750 yds. That would only work if you zeroed your rifle with vertical adjustment turned all the way down. Boy do I feel stupid.

So assuming you are zeroed at 100 and at the middle of your adjustment range you would be good out to 1200/1300 yds, using half the full adjustment range of 80 MOA.
Zero or 10 degree rail should work fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.