Oregon! Anyone seen any Diggers yet?

Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. I will have to wait for awhile. My project will not be completed until Novemeber 07 and the squirrels don't start getting thick until around March and April, so it will be 2008 before I get to pop them with the big 300-WSM. I am having it specially designed around the 125grn BT, it should be deadly out to 1000 yards. Here are the specs;

1. 300-WSM,Match Chamber for Norma Brass.
2. Nesika Model L, 1.470 Dia Action, Fluted Bolt, Tactical Knob.
3. Krieger, 30", 1-15 twist, 1.450 Straight Cylinder, throated for the 125grn BT.
4. McMillan Tooley MBR, 5 pounds lead added to rear, removable front stud for bi-pod use.
5. Jewel 2oz Trigger.
6. Vias Muzzle brake.
7. Davidson 20MOA Scope Base.
8. Kelby 30mm Rings.
9. Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS W/MLR Reticle.
10. Rifle weight will be around 30 pounds.

Give some specs on your rigs!

Wildcat

Hello everyone, first time post , long time reader. I finally made the 500 yard club. I got a rock chuck three weeks ago@535yards in Eastern Oregon, I would like to submit it to the Varmint Hunters Magazine. Can somebody tell me how post a picture on this Forum from my P.C. Thanks for your help.

Flybuster, congrates on the 500 yard club. I wish we had chucks out this way.

Wildcat

Catshooter I love your screen name. It reminds me of my friend, you would probably get along with him just fine.
100_0072.jpg

We were outside of John Day 2 weeks ago. On Friday it was 80 degrees. Took 150 shots. Sat. it rained and they didn't come out much. We are going over this next weekend, if the weather looks OK.
Tim G

A few weeks ago, I was up in Modoc County ( North Eastern area of Northern California) which is south of Oregon. This year the ground squirrel population was about half what it was year ago. The farmers and ranchers think the mild winter and flood irrigation made an impact on the population. This year the ground squirrels were in the 250 plus yard range and very skiddish. Last year, there were so many that you could shoot them within 50 yards and shoot all day without making a dent in the population. I hope next year there will be better shooting or should I drive a few more miles north and head into eastern Oregon?

douglascounty11pz5.jpg

We saw 2 and got this one. This was taken with an old school Ruger Varminter in 22-250 with a Leupold 6.5-20x40 on it. We will give them another month. Were we went we even still had a little snow on the North side of the hills.

Catshooter thanks. Its a 25-06 ackley. The barrel is a Lilja 3-groove 1-10". Shoots awesome, Dan Dowling throated the rifle for 87 grain Speer TnT, the poor mans benchrest bullet as I like to call them. It really blew up the chuck on the front side you can see his gut in the picture.

2506 remingtonman[ QUOTE ]
We dont have any of those around here. Funny, you would think we would as this type of terrain is the same type down in central Oregon where you shoot these guys at.

[/ QUOTE ]
My dad told me there used to be alot of ground squirrels in Umatilla county. He believes the wheat farmers just poisoned them off. I have seem them in a few lower areas.

[ QUOTE ]
The ones I've seen are actually big ol fat rock chucks. More like the size of house cats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They come out and sun bathe every once in a while. Only problem is there not in a very good spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a solution to that. Get a few live traps and relocate. hehe

Shot a few diggers today -very educated diggers you stop they go!

But i'm a patient kind of guy -if i'm waiting for a shot.

I started a thread about shooting rests in the general discussion area.I tried some shooting sticks and a folding chair.A longleg 25" harris bipod.The back of the gun [me] was still shakey -very challenging to make 100 yard shots.

Nonetheless a few were killed -man those little buggers do some damage to the land.Livestock and pronghorns etc. would have to watch every step out there -i can't walk more than five steps w/o taking a good look at my next five steps.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried some shooting sticks and a folding chair.A longleg 25" harris bipod.The back of the gun [me] was still shakey -very challenging to make 100 yard shots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike, Did you put your sunscreen and lay out in the Lawnchair, kind of a varmint lounge tactic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I had some red digger fun this week too, being layed off a fellow gets kind-of bored. I went camping, took my Savage Striker Pistol 22-250 out and blasted quite a few of them. The cool thing is if you hit them under 50 yards with this combo, it launches them. Just like my 25-06.

"Mike, Did you put your sunscreen and lay out in the Lawnchair, kind of a varmint lounge tactic."

Yuup and i had a big old flowery hawiian shirt on to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !!

I had my little 221 fireball and a 17hmr both cz's.
The 221 fb sends them up right nice especially at close range ,you know -the real dumb ones that stand up at 15yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

I was shooting some diggers w/ my 22-250 a couple of weeks ago -getting some brass out of a case of win 45gr factory ammo.
One went so far and high i didn't bother telling the story b/c nobody would believe it.<- 12-14' high at a 45* angle -distance 35 maybe 40' -that was one talented digger i tell ya !.

Do you coyote hunt ?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.