Oregon! Anyone seen any Diggers yet?

If your talking sage rats, not this weekend. It was over cast and windy.
But if your talkign diggers on the clear cuts I heard they are just emerging. My shooting partner got the first one of the year last weekend!

Hope this helps, I was in the silver lake area!

I've seen a select few around my area. Seen em as early as 2 weeks ago. Gonna wait a couple more weeks for the babies to hatch and I think I"m gonna have at her. Try out the new 100g NBT load at 3350fps. That should give em a nice dirt nap!!

Thanks guys. These are the focus of most of our varminting around here. At one time we used to call it Digger shootin' but over that last decade it has turned into Digger Hunting.
cal3.jpg

I too have found the .257 calibers to be efficient in bringing one too it's knees. I'm partial to 75 grain V-Max's out of my Accumark at 3960fps. If I ever see one again I will try to get a post mortem shot.

I thought a 6mm rem with 55gr NBT was a little over kill! I can only imagine what a 25. would do. Keep us posted when the babies start comming out!

Those kinda look like the ones we go and shoot around North powder/Baker area. Those suckers are small! There only like 3" wide, and thats a fat pregnant momma!

We dont have any of those around here. Funny, you would think we would as this type of terrain is the same type down in central Oregon where you shoot these guys at.

The ones I've seen are actually big ol fat rock chucks. More like the size of house cats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They come out and sun bathe every once in a while. Only problem is there not in a very good spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The one in the picture is the California ground squirrel. They range fron California to Washington. They are thick around The Dalls. Around here they are found everywhere but our favorite place to hunt them is in the mature clear cuts. They burrow under root wads and under slash piles and in rocky places. The clear cuts age is important. The grass must be well esablished and the replanted trees not over 2 to 4 feet tall. Taller than that and you can't see them out sunning themselves.

V-MA-SBEE-AD.002.jpg

A mature male can get up to 3 pounds or so. It takes a big gun to get some air time on them past 300 yards. You have to hold just under center of the gut sack for max expansion.

I think that is what we got two. I got the picture thing figured out but does any body know how to post videos. We got some film last year that was humororous to say the least and will share on this years adventures If I remember the camera and learn how to post.

Is it that time of year again? My brothers and I used to hunt them between Baker and La Grande, back when I was in collage at EOU. Get fun!! One of the farmers wives to us "If you find any of them big holes in the ground, them are badgers, you can shoot the too!!" Great Lady.

Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is it that time of year again? My brothers and I used to hunt them between Baker and La Grande, back when I was in collage at EOU. Get fun!! One of the farmers wives told us "If you find any of them big holes in the ground, them are badgers, you can shoot the too!!" Great Lady.

Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was over in sisters last weekend and there was 50-100+ up at any one time on a two acre lot in town. It was rainy on Sunday and I didn't see one. Heard some good reports from around Christmas Valley.

Hired Gun, I will soon be shooting these squirrels with a 300-WSM and a 125grn Nosler Ballistic Tip, at 4000+fps. I can't wait to see what the 125grn BT does to these fat little guys.

Wildcat

That sounds awesome. We have used the Hornady 110 grain spire points out of the 300 Weatherby with great success. I know only shoot 200 grain bullets as they are much easier to hit with at long range. This weekend we are going out and taking our 22-250's and 257 Weatherby's shooting 75 grain V-Max's at 3960 feet per second. Those put up a heck of a pink cloud.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.