Anyone got their hands on a 17WSM yet?

Thanks!

Here's a few more before I had the stock painted.

Eric :cool:

Attachments

• High-Mountain-Ground-Squirrel-1.jpg
    High-Mountain-Ground-Squirrel-1.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 107
  • rotator.jpg
    rotator.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Savage-Owners-Facebook-2.jpg
    Savage-Owners-Facebook-2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 103
AWESOME! The pic with the ammo box is too funny! I've got my share of dead critter pics but none so pro! The :cool: in your signature is well deserved.

How far did that rabbit run?:D

I'm suddenly feeling an intense need for a 17WSM...

The rabbit jumped in the air and landed, dead. It didn't even know what happened. I've shot some prairie dogs at various yardages (264 being the furthest) and they all died instantly!

The 20 grain bullet does a great job on the smaller varmints. I haven't had a chance to use the 25 grain loads, but I think I'm going to hold onto those to try on predator sized game.

Glad you like the pictures!

Eric :cool:

Didn't know this cartridge existed. This site helps keep me and I am sure others up to date.

I just have to say it....WSM is not a well thought out name for this cartridge. I imagined a very overbore wildcat made by necking down a 7 WSM. So now the acronym WSM has two meanings. Way to go Winchester.

Eric Mayer, Looking at your pictures are you pressure pointing the barrel just ahead of the receiver with cardboard? I have a friend who has sent his 17wsm back to savage three times (they sent him replacement rifles twice and replaced the barrel, replaced the bolt and smoothed the chamber on the third) still has occasional stuck case extraction.

The plastic Savage was an advertised give away (no mention of how many were available and there were other prizes) at my local Cabela's for those in line on Black Friday at the opening. There was no ammo available at the store.

I will pass on the plastic. I have a Savage 97 .17HMR with the plywood thumbhole stock and it is accurate. I had to replace the trigger and put a picatinny rail to accommodate Warne rings. I can shoot about 1.25 at 100 yards on average. Sometimes less sometimes more depending on the wind and the operator.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.