Optimal bullet seating to neck shoulder junction

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
How important is it to keep the bearing surface in front of the neck shoulder junction (NSJ)?

I've read it's to prevent a doughnut from effecting neck tension. If sizing with a mandrel or expander, does that push the doughnut to the outside avoiding the issue? I could see a bushing die pushing the doughnut in but then they don't size right to the NSJ.

I'm mapping out a 7 SAUM for the 180 VLD. With the bearing surface right at the NSJ, it has an expected COAL of 2.97". I would think the bullet needs to be 20 to 30 thou up from the NSJ to avoid a doughnut. 30 thou of seating one way or the other appears to have a insignificantly change in case capacity.

neck expanding with a mandrel does not push the doughnut to the outside . it might push it some , but not nearly enough . I'm forming brass for a wildcat . I'm getting doughnuts during the forming process . I'm inside neck reaming , and also outside neck turning , to completely get rid of the doughnut .
you are correct , bushing dies do not size the neck to the neck shoulder junction .

I'm not sure what the correct answer is on the doughnut . if you keep the bullet above it , it shouldn't matter as far as seating goes . I'm thinking it could be a flex (bend) point when the neck expands to release the bullet , so I'm getting it removed .

Position of bullet in the neck also varies with proper seating depth, so a given position to start with may effect where your bullet ends up.

I handle possible donuts by getting into the shoulder when turning new brass. I also use full dies without expander balls and follow up with a mandrel. Lucky so far!

Tight dies and loose chambers really over work brass and push shoulder into neck, causing quick donuts.

I always figured 35* and 40* shoulders would have fewer donuts, until I had the problem with 280a.i. donuts. Traced it down to the die being tight & factory chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.