Optimal Bullet Placement in Case?

DoneNOut

If the jump to lands worked out fine for either placement, which of the two pics would be the better placement of the bullet in regards to bearing surface? Pic #1 or Pic #2: (Black line shows bottom bearing surface location)

1: .150" of .308 cal bullet into neck
thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

Pic #2: .308" of .308 cal bullet into neck
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Depends.
For shooting a match, i'd be ok with the first one, possibly seeing if i could squeeze a few more grains of powder in for that touch of velocity.

For hunting, i'd prefer the second. Guns & ammo get bumped around more. The slight increase on bearing surface would give me more piece of mind.

Depends.
For shooting a match, i'd be ok with the first one, possibly seeing if i could squeeze a few more grains of powder in for that touch of velocity.

For hunting, i'd prefer the second. Guns & ammo get bumped around more. The slight increase on bearing surface would give me more piece of mind.
I have always gone for pic 2, but getting into F-class FTR. First go at match stuffs...

I have found that usually the base of the bullet at the body/shoulder junction is a good sweet spot. My vote to try first would be pic#2.

But here is the caveat. I have found most rifles like .020-.050" jump as a sweet spot also. While you can find another sweet spot seated deeper, that range of jump distance is usually a good gamble.

Then there is max mag length and feeding reliability to think about.

I guess what I am saying after reading my own post...there is no "one-size fits all".

Accuracy Above All.

Neither - one has too little bearing surface in the neck and the other is a bit too deep to avoid any possible donut that may develop in the neck.
Can you elaborate on this donut thing please. I've read that one should be a caliber size deep in the case to 1/2 cal size length. SO for 308 it's .308 of bearing surface in the case. .150" for half...

I would go with #2 theres something to be said about a bullet having more neck around the bearing surface for accuracy if thats your main goal which is what I would be after. IE. BR and PPC case.