Optics for aging eyes

I don't see any good scopes that are "better" for ageing eyes. Just don't buy crap optics. Will a 50 mm objective help you see better than a 42 mm objective? NOPE!
The "A big objective gathers more light." B.S. is something optics experts laugh at.

Sorry, I would have to disagree.
High power scopes require a larger objective lens than a low power scope. You don't see a 25x scope with a 1'' objective because there is a reason. just like you don't need a 2x scope with a 50 mm objective lens.

I have many 1'' to 40 mm scopes and none of them are any good for poor light. A larger objective has the ability to gather more light, but the scope quality has an effect on how well the scope transfers the light through the entire scope. A "big poor quality lens" doesn't do any better than a "small good quality lens" so quality of the glass plays a major role in the ability to transmit the available light. But if you get a quality glass in a large objective and a quality scope, it will Work better in poor light.

With all things being the same quality and magnification, the larger the objective, the better it's ability to gather light. In simple terms a 30 mm objective is better than a 20 mm lens. A 40 mm is better than a 30 mm and a 50 mm is better than a 40 mm and so on.

On some rifles I prefer the smaller objective for many different reasons but on rifles that are intended to be used for poor/low or night use the bigger the objective the better. I have one such set up on a night hunting rifle (For Hogs) I can use a green illuminator that has a 8' circle of light at 100 yards that does not spook the hogs because it is very subtle and with the 55 mm scope the target is very clear. I don't have to use a night scope and can use the scope for day or night.

Nothing personal, just simple physics.

J E CUSTOM

Still haven't heard from anyone that owns both a x5i and a atacr... kales??
I owned A Swaro 5x non illuminated great glass and tracking was awesome, but went back to a night force nxs with moar reticle. My favorite old age scope is the Swaro Z8, best glass hands down but it's mils and no option for moa. Trying to get used to mils while still shooting other rifles with moa can be tasking for a old fart. I have the beginning stages of cataracts. Never used ATACR's but my friends rave about them. I also shoot with leupold vx6 hd's for lightening up my backcountry rifles. Just my 2 cents.

Guys, Looking for advice from you old guys. As we age our eyes change. I've noticed my eyes require better and more expensive scopes with better resolution to see well as I am getting older. I am having a new beanfield rifle built and need to choose a scope. We hunt big fields and the ranges can be pretty far. 900 is not unusual at all. Deer here are hunted hard and nearly nocturnal. Shots always come in poor light, usually just before dark. Have a little cateracts, and don't see as well in poor light as I used to. All that being said, looking for a scope with excellent tracking, 1min wind marks, and really great glass that stands out in class in low light. Needs to top out around 25X. Cost really isn't an issue as much as trying to get the most out of my old eyes, but would like to stay around $3k or so. The options are mind boggling. I do know a Vortex Razor won't cut it anymore so don't go there.
Mate try March scopes expensive but worth it Cheers

Guys, Looking for advice from you old guys. As we age our eyes change. I've noticed my eyes require better and more expensive scopes with better resolution to see well as I am getting older. I am having a new beanfield rifle built and need to choose a scope. We hunt big fields and the ranges can be pretty far. 900 is not unusual at all. Deer here are hunted hard and nearly nocturnal. Shots always come in poor light, usually just before dark. Have a little cateracts, and don't see as well in poor light as I used to. All that being said, looking for a scope with excellent tracking, 1min wind marks, and really great glass that stands out in class in low light. Needs to top out around 25X. Cost really isn't an issue as much as trying to get the most out of my old eyes, but would like to stay around $3k or so. The options are mind boggling. I do know a Vortex Razor won't cut it anymore so don't go there.
It sounds like you need maximum light gathering and transmission.
I'm 75 and love my NF ATACR, which is 24x (max), 30 mm tube, and 50 mm objective. However, 56 mm objective would be even better.
And the Zero stop function if awesome.

Years ago I bought a NIXON 2.5x10X56 SF UCC with a German #4 Reticle. It still has the brightest sight picture of any scope I have. Nothing fancy. I rely on Chronograph and Ballistic properties of a quality bullet. I also limit my shots to 600 yards on Elk, Deer and Antelope. I'm an Amputee and just can't walk on any uneven ground, no balance so I'm restricted in most environments. This adds to that term Handicapped. Mostly ignored by most Fish and Game, especially in Nevada. No special seasons so Handicapped Hunters have a chance for Bull Elk or species of Desert And Rocky Mountain Bighorn.

Anyone on here looked through Meoptas latest offerings and compared them in low light situations ? Just curious because that company makes some excellent lenses in house from German glass blocks. Dont pay any attention to in store brightness. They, at least 12 or so years ago , didn't use any of the sneaky lens coatings to give the illusion of brightness at the point of sale. In real low light conditions they gathered light very well, but didnt seem as bright under store lighting .
I dont know where the company has concentrated their efforts lately, but as far as lens quality is concerned, they have alot of experience with high end lab equipment and are about the only scope company that makes their own lenses from blocks of high quality glass to final coatings.

I see what JE is saying about the extra lens , and I agree . I'm thinking though if the extra lens corrects your vision it could be whats needed to see your reticle in the first , and last few minutes of the hunt ? I have been able to see the target , but could not see my reticle well enough to feel confident in the shot . that's when I upgraded my one rifle from a VX3 to a VX6 . I feel like you other guys , it's turning into an optics race .

I have owned many scopes. My top 2 scopes for hunting out to 1000 yds are NF NXS 8-32x56 and Zeiss conquest 4 6-24x50 30 mm tube. ZMOA-1. This Zeiss scope will work for you. I'm so impressed, I'm buying a second one today for my 300 WBY.

Yuppers... Check out the optic planet sight or make it simple by going to a sporting goods shop and look threw some glass...

Ask them if it's possible that you can stop by in the late evening as the sun is setting so you can get some feed back on dusk conditions..

Check out about 7 optics you'd like to try,,, purhaps you might try a few lower power optics to see if there clearer with good resolution...

Your eyes will make the decision,,, don't forget that each optic will be much clearer once it's focused to your vision,,, that's what really counts...

The cataracts are easy to remove. Medicare pays 100% for the 10 minute procedure. You are in and out in 40 minutes total. It has made a world of difference for my 76 year old eyes.

This discussion is troubling for me. I shoot competition at 600 yds at age 70. Off a concrete bench with a 60x variable power scope I'm expecting to hold all rounds under 1moa. Now we have the question of what scope for cataract eyes to hit an 8inch kill zone at 900 yards (less than 1moa) while sitting (presumably) on a stool in a box blind propping his rifle stock on a window ledge.... What's wrong with this picture? At 900 there's a lot more to worry about than what reticle to look through. 1moa wind marks? You gotta be kidding!
You are correct. If you hunt this way half that far is a long shot. If you change your thinking more to a range bench with a cast iron rest, front and rear sandbags, add sides and a top, you will be a little closer to the way we hunt deer long range. Terrain is just too flat to lay on your belly, grass, weeds and all.

I have been using Meopta scopes for about 5 months now. I am very impressed with the glass they use. I recent;y started working with Meopta because of the optic's that they produce. Impressive glass, excellent QC, built tough and affordable. I have used MeoPro, MeoStar, ZD and the brand new for 2019, Optika 6 line. I assure you, the Optika 6 line has something for everyone and was designed around the specs that you guys asked for. The 3-8x50 should be here within 2 weeks. I have been blazing away for months with the 1-6x24 and I will certainly be buying it. It will be my new OK swine scope. I do not do any sales but there are LRH sponsor's here who do and will tell you that you get a big bang for your buck with Meopta.

https://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 11.17.04 AM.png
Screen%20Shot%202019-06-24%20at%2011.17.04%20AM.png

We are putting the cart before the horse. Need to find the glass, then pick from available reticles. I feel in this price range scopes are like the 300Winnie, none of them are the wrong answer. Just need help finding the best answer.
I am 72 and have worn glass since I was 10 so I started out at a disadvantage My first scope was a Redfield 6x tv screen it was great! used in Alaska for 20 years Then it stopped working so I got A Nikon Great glass for someone has always been in the glass business, no rental selection though. Although one of the nicest 4x16 Monarch scopes I've own 1" I have owned Then moved to 30 MM owned inexpensive Looked at the best and bought Vortex PST 4x16 FP I own two For the money I could not see a difference in a NF! Glass all comes from sand from Viet Nam and except for US optics and a couple of German makers all Glass is ground in 3 areas Japan, Phillips and other Asian countries The scope manufacture the spec his glass and what may not meet Vortex or N F standards other manufacturers will except .
Now seeing a dear at 900yrds at dusk is pass shoot for me My biggest Muley was ranged and 586yrds and you need no optics to see the 4 tines of his rack I have three rifles capable of the shoot but at dusk, I make no shots I cannot retrieve!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.