Looking for Optics

fetch

New to the sport and looking for a little info. I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and I need a scope. I don't have a large amount of cash so I will need to stay in the $300 - $400 range. I have a bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40, long story short, it will be returned to cabelas today or tomorrow.

I am pretty open, don't have any brand favorites, would prefer something with a good warranty, and reliable. I would like to shoot (someday) out to 600 yard. Will primarily be used for target, deer and varmint hunting.

Thanks

I know what it's like to be in your shoes. I still am to be honest!:cool: Anyway here are a few that will work for ya. Of the list I have owned both Buckmasters (customer service is excellent at Nikon). The Falcon Menace I wanted really bad, but they were hard to come by 2.5yrs ago when they first came out. I currently own a Vortex Viper and love it. A buddy of mine has the Mueller and he really likes it. So those are the ones I would suggest. Other guys here have owned the Crossfire's and really enjoyed them, I just prefer the side focus vs. the front objective.

Falcon Menace 4-14x44 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope

Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster Riflescope

Vortex 8-32x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire 30mm Rifle Scope

Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope

SWFA Mueller Riflescopes Mueller Tactical Riflescopes

Bushnell 5-15x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope

Tank

I have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 long-range scope, gloss finish with the fine duplex reticle, along with the sun shade that I should sell since I already sold the rifle it was bought for. Although it was mounted, there is no way to tell from looking at it. Absolutely no marks on the body or the lenses. It has a lifetime transferable warranty. I know I have the box around here but couldn't find it last time I looked.

If you are interested in a good scope for shooting those ranges (and farther), make me an offer.

I just recently bought the same rifle in 308. I purchased one of the SWFA super snipers in 16x and love it. Some folks don't like the fixed power, but the scope is a very good deal for the money.

I run a WOTac optic and find it excellent for the price range your in. Dials extremely well, love the reticule, it's stout built for sure and the warranty is as GTG as it gets. I really like mine a lot, it has some very unique features you won't find in other lower end stuff. Also like the Vortex stuff as well.

WOTAC Rifle Scopes

In your pricerange?...Vortex Viper 4-12. I have one on my 300 and, for the price, it a great scope. Nikon is worth looking at too. The other scopes like liltank recomended I don't own so I can't offer my opinion.

My vote is for one of the Vortex Vipers in the power range that suits your taste. I have the 6.5x20x44 Viper on my 25/300WSM and I love it. A friend has one on his 300RUM and he loves his too. These scopes are VERY clear and bright, as bright as any Nikon monarch I've looked thru. They track exactly where you dial them and the 30mm tube models, which is what I have, are built like a tank. I'm sure the 1" models are also very good scopes and I may get one soon to find out. Also Vortex has a unconditional unlimited, no questions asked warranty. Call all of the other companies mentioned and ask them if they offer that kind of warranty and see what they tell you! I'd buy a Vortex. I WILL be buying more of them myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.