opinions needed on 2 rifles

hammer111

Im looking to buy a couple guns. first is a REMINGTON 700 SPS VARMINT HEAVY BARREL in .204, 2nd is a Remington 700 ADL Varmint 26" Mossy Oak .308 Win, or Remington 700 VTR .308WIN and lastly a vtr or adl in .280. also on the 700 platform.

I appreciate your thoughts.thanks.

1 What is the main use for this rifle?
2 Will you be walking long distances or sitting in one spot and shooting over sage rat towns.
3 What are your planned distances?

A heavy gun isn't fun to carry, 204 will be plenty for sage rats to about 500yd maybe a bit further if the wind is calm. 308 will be a little much for them and will destroy coyote hides same with 280. If you're wanting something more mid spectrum lean towards 243win or 25-06. Any of the Remingtons you mentioned will be plenty accurate for all of the above, I lean towards the adl a buddy recently picked one up in 243 with a 26 heavy factory barrel its a shooter.

ooophs ,ok the 204 target and occasional varmit shooting. the 308 or 280 for deer. no long walking, and maybe target shooting.

Id just like to know if these are good platforms. I just need decent accuracy no compation.

I have found a couple that look nice in the 500.00 range , which is my budget. I don't have a problem with weight.

For targets and the occasional varmint the 204 will be sort of high cost for massive amounts of shooting but, if your mind is made up get after it. The 308win is a hell of a deer round I use it off and on for deer hunting back home in KY, the long barrel sucks to carry very far so. Mine is an older 700p so it came with a heavy barrel and hs precision stock from the factory mind you it's a lower end hs stock but, I've shot that set up consistently at 1000yd with the only modification a jewell trigger at about 12-14oz. It's awesome to be able to hang with and even beat a few guys with an entire set-up for under $1600.

I'm not a huge fan of the sps line of 700 mainly because of the lower end stock that is "cheap" plastic, it's a great base to build upon and with trigger work and a new stock you'd be in business for around $1000. I would personally lean towards the 700p series rifles because they start with a better stock I'm not sure all the calibers they're available in 223rem and 308win for sure. The heavy barrel adds the weight needed for long shots and if you aren't packing it long distances it's an asset. The adl line is a better quality than the sps line and I think you will be more satisfied with one. I've seen the vtr line with the triangle shaped barrel and this one had a sort of muzzle brake built in, has two or three slots cut just before the muzzle. I couldn't say it reduced recoil but it did seem to make it louder, the triangle look is cool, the gun shot similar to other new 700's with similar round counts.
Regardless of what you decide I would pick up a rifle basix trigger kit for the gun they're cheap but, my buddies and I have been using them in all the builds we've done in the past year or so. I put one in my newest Ruger 77 and couldn't be happier. I've shot and own a couple jewell, and timney triggers and the rifle basix ranks right up there since the price is about half of their competition its a win win for us.
The availability of ammo for the 308 just out shines the 280 for me. I've got a few ar-15's, 243win 25-06 308win 7rem mag so the 280 to me is just limiting ammo and the advantages the 280 are lost on me. Under normal non ammo craze times you can find 308 on the shelf of every wal-mart or mom and pop store in the country. 308win is a "boring" caliber not in any way flashy or fast but it's consistent and responsible for many a filled freezer and taxidermy bill. If you want to reload the options there are nearly endless and you can even chase elk if you were inclined, brass it everywhere most of the time.
Keep us informed and just be patient there's a ton of knowledge to be had on this site.

I have the sps varmint in 204. The stock came off the first day/replaced with a Boyds varmint thumbhole that I had pillar bedded. The trigger lasted 1 wk and was replaced with a timney. Now its my go to fun gun, very accurate and alot of fun to shoot.

thanks dogbuster and wvgunner. my head is spinning, but you guys are slowing down some. Ive been an avid hunter but never really gut under the hood of guns.

the stuff thats out there is awesome. I got a 17hmr which has started me into guns a lot deeper. Just got my bmag which I can't wait to get set up. Now I want the 204 and the 308,or 280. I have a bar 280 which makes me lean towards that round. I don't have to buy different ammo.

Today I just saw a howa 1500 204 for 599.00. So now I gotta decide between the mossberg, remington and maybe the howa. Im leaning towards the 700 adl for both the 204 and the 280 very close behind is the 308. I think it will come down to price.

Im seeing alot of nice ones on gunbroker, but I want to make a smart choice. I don't buy guns to buy guns. I buy whats best for me and I keep it. I have every gun Ive ever bought, except for my rem 700 ml. sold it to get an encore..

Im really digging are the replys. I read them all and soak it up. I don't plan on shooting alot. im more of a weekend warrior. so thanks guys, keep it coming.

The 280 is one heck of a round. Its capable of handling game much larger than deer. But unless you reload, its pointless to own. Factory ammo is very limited. And if your luck is as good as mine, when you need to buy it, you wont be able to find any. The 308 is a beautiful deer round. Reloading components, load data, and a wide variety of factory ammo is available for the 308.

If you already have a 280 stick with what you like and will already have ammo on hand for. Since you don't plan on doing a ton of shooting both calibers will be just fine for hunting and occasional plinking. As far as Howa's go I've handled a few at the local sportsmans warehouse and I like the rubber Houge stock that some come with. They've got a few package deals that come with Niko Sterling scopes I'm not sure the price of the them but for around $600 seems like quite a deal. If anyone is super familiar with that brand of scope please give your two cents but, seems like a decent scope they're no high end Leupold or Nightforce. For the price seem on par with Redfield or similar level Bushnell or Nikon. I've yet to read a negative review on them and Howa actually builds the barreled actions for Weatherby in Japan as well. I've personally shot several of them even in the high end mark v series and never heard a complaint in the accuracy department.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.