Debating between 2 varmint rifles.

matt_3479

I'm in the market for a new varmint rifle and I just can't decide. I looking on another site and came across a Remington 700 (looks like a mix between BDL with the Monte Carlo stock and the cdl sf with the black end cap) stainless fluted and everything in 220. Swift which is a wicked round just not something I've ever really wanted. And the second is a CZ 527 varmint with a 26" heavy barrel, Boyd's tactical stock and the original wood stock (I put the wood one back on) in 204. Ruger which is one of the calibers in on the market for. Both going for the same dollar. 204 comes with 2 stocks, rings, 220 is just rifle

I have some exciteman for the 204. Ruger and right now the good'ole triple deuce. This rifle will be used for target, coyotes and crows mainly. It will be more of a hunting rifle then a long range rifle (400-500) yards and closer. I have a full custom 260. Rem that will be brought out when the times needed. I just can't decided which one to go with, the unique 220 or the nice 204. What would you do?

Since you have a .260 for longer-range work, I'd jump on the .204 (although that looks like a good deal on the Swift if it's around what should be the ballpark price of the C-Z). I have three .204s, including a C-Z Kevlar Varmint that's probably the most accurate off-the-rack rifle I own.

Kind of ask the question backwards, Why the Swift? Nostalgia mostly, the high capacity .224 calibers though to me are for heavier than usual bullets. The intent of which is to creep up into the exterior ballistics of the bigger calibers. You don't mention the twist for the Swift, heavier bullets may not be possible anyway.

You have that covered, and I think there are better cartridges in that niche.

I have love and affection for a good Swift, but I think from a practical standpoint, the .204 better rounds out your safe.

thank you, I ruled out the 220 swift but unfortunately I heard back from the guy I ask to purchase his CIL (anschutz) 900 222. Rem which I use to own and he's selling for half the price of the CZ and got me thinking again. Really I should buy both but that rarely works out. love the little triple deuce

I have never owned a 220 Swift probably because I own several 22-250's which is my go to round for up to and including deer here in Pa and never felt the need. . I have had a few 204's and have been happy with them. The 222 is an Icon in my opinion and everyone should have one.. Go with the 204 you wont be disappointed

thank you, I ruled out the 220 swift but unfortunately I heard back from the guy I ask to purchase his CIL (anschutz) 900 222. Rem which I use to own and he's selling for half the price of the CZ and got me thinking again. Really I should buy both but that rarely works out. love the little triple deuce

Personally Id go with the 222. I even had one built up for me this summer as I cant buy any right off the rack. It'll take ya out to 200 yds and the 260 can carry ya on further

It's killing me trying to decided cause I know I only have money for 1 and I want both so bad and trying to figure out which one I can't live without right now. And financially the 222. rem would b easier on me, but the particular gun im looking at are usually in the price, the CZ with 2 sets of rings and 2 stocks basically brand new in 204 ruger is a pretty good deal and don't see them at this price often.

I'm can't figure it out, everytime I sway one way, I flip right around and start over. Yesterday I had my self convinced on the 222 and today the 204.

The 204 sound like a better deal, but personally I'd go with the 220. Bigger the better right? A lot of my hunting buddy's disagree with me but I ain't the one wounding animals at 200+ yards. For varmints and predators, I have a Remington 700 CDL in 220 Swift with a old Leupold 4-12x40. Never wounded one with it. Fat favorite however is the Savage 11 in 223 rem. With a vortex viper on top I got a groundhog at 600 yards this summer. By bigger the better, I use a Browning A-Bolt 300 win mag for deer and bear. Somewhat overkill, but I'm getting the better results. I hope that kinda helped you out.

I'm in the market for a new varmint rifle and I just can't decide. I looking on another site and came across a Remington 700 (looks like a mix between BDL with the Monte Carlo stock and the cdl sf with the black end cap) stainless fluted and everything in 220. Swift which is a wicked round just not something I've ever really wanted. And the second is a CZ 527 varmint with a 26" heavy barrel, Boyd's tactical stock and the original wood stock (I put the wood one back on) in 204. Ruger which is one of the calibers in on the market for. Both going for the same dollar. 204 comes with 2 stocks, rings, 220 is just rifle

I have some exciteman for the 204. Ruger and right now the good'ole triple deuce. This rifle will be used for target, coyotes and crows mainly. It will be more of a hunting rifle then a long range rifle (400-500) yards and closer. I have a full custom 260. Rem that will be brought out when the times needed. I just can't decided which one to go with, the unique 220 or the nice 204. What would you do?
I had to make the same decision as you and went with a Savage model 12 Bvss in 22-250. Just love the caliber. My .02 Gary

I had a 222 Rem and it is even whimpier than a 223. When I swapped the Savage 24 for a different weapon, I could not get anyone to drive to my house to pick up the dies and shells I had.

So, other than having a very good barrel life, the 222 is obsolete. The barrel is likely to be a 1:12 or possibly even a 1:14 so will only be able to shoot light bullets and you can pretty much forget about ever hitting a varmint at 400 yards with it unless there is absolutely no wind and all the planets are aligned.

Today there are far better choices for hitting something at 400 yards with any kind of regularity.
243 win with an 8 twist barrel
6x47 lapua with an 8 twist
6.5x47 Lapua with an 8 twist

All the above have lots of good quality bullets available to buy, quality brass and several powder options.

Unless you do a special build based on the 80gr or 90gr .224 bullet, I would not waste my time with a 22 caliber.

I have a .204 ruger and I like it very much for Pa. groundhogs out to about 250 yards, it is a real drt gun. I hear guys killing prairie dogs further than 250 yards but they are a lot smaller than groundhogs. For a varmint rifle I like 220 swift and 22-250 class rifles using 55 to 52 gr. bullets out to about 350 yards and beyond that I like a fast twist 22 cal. using 80 gr. bullets. I have a 22-47 Lapua 8 twist that I shoot the 80 gr. v-max and have several kills out to 510 yards on groundhogs and one whitetail at 110 yards. The 6mm calibers are good also but it all depends what you like best and I like the .22 Calibers.
Joe