204 varmint rifle?

sniperboy

Hi to all

I m wanting to buy a 204 varmint rifle and dont know what to get. Can anyone advise me of a out of the box rifle with good accuracy? I was looking at the savage thumbhole btcss, can anyone tell me a bit about that rifle, and how it compares to the remington xr100 rangemaster? I basically want the best accuracy out of a factory rifle.

Thanks
sniperboy

Either one is potentially accurate. I really like Savage rifles and that is probably where I would spend my money.

Sniperboy,

I own one of the Savage BTCSS in .204. I have a couple of other Savages that I have been pretty happy with and have certainly lived up to the expectation of out of the box accuracy for Savage. This .204 blew all these expectations away. The first loads I tried were the factory Hornady 32gr vmax just for break in. While breaking it in, the gun shot way better than I could ever hope to. I have spent this year just shooting factory loads as I am am afraid my handloads will not match it. I am going to start handloading for it though as I have a couple of things I want to try.

It is a great gun. The upsides being that it is phenomenally accurate, pretty decent looking, and has even a better Accutrigger than my other Savages (maybe I just got lucky on that one). My only negatives on it are that it is really heavy - tough for those trekking hunts for varmints and I have had trouble getting my gun to shoot the couple of factory loads I have tried in 40 and 45 grain. Trouble being over .5 inches. I hope to address that one with handloading though.

I do recommend the BTCSS without reservation as long as the use you are considering it for warrants a gun that heavy. Hope this helps.

From the money you spend on a savage you can't find any thing out there that will shoot as good. savage makes a fine shooting gun plus there so ez to work on and have the best trigger out there. get a high end savage like a BVSS and you will love it

I wouldn't say they have the BEST trigger out there. It's good but last time I checked Arnold Jewell was still around.

Sorry i should have said factory trigger. There isn't any that come on a factory rifle that are any better that i know of. I have a jewells in my edge and it's great but for 289.00 just for the trigger it's not that much better and no where near as safe. just my 2

I've got 2 savage 204's. A VLP and a BTVSS. They both shot 1/2" at 100 yds out of the box. They are my # 1 go to rifles out in the prairie dog fields. I am currntly thinking of getting another one strictly for yotes in a lighter version. I am leaning towards a CZ-527 varmint right now.

I've got 2 savage 204's. A VLP and a BTVSS. They both shot 1/2" at 100 yds out of the box. They are my # 1 go to rifles out in the prairie dog fields. I am currntly thinking of getting another one strictly for yotes in a lighter version. I am leaning towards a CZ-527 varmint right now.

There are some still photo action shots and a couple of short vids of my 204's in action. You can view them from here.
Last day of P-dogs, Videos. Warning, GRAPHIC - Predatorhuntcanada.ca

Here is a group I shot at 400 yds today with my savage 12fv 22-250, the squares are 1 inch sq.The hole on the right is in a 2nd group.You will not beat savage for acuracy versus money spent.
DSCF1324.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Savage Model 12 FV, it refuses to shoot Hornady 40 grain V-Max factory loads. It will clover leaf the 32 grain V-Max.

My VLP prints out the 40 gr V-max at about an inch. My BTVSS will put them out at 1/2" or better. A lot of the factory tubes are finicky with the 40 gr V-max due to the 1 in 12 twist is just on the edge for stability. A 1 in 10 or 11 would fling those 40's quite nicely.

savage all the way. might want to check out the model 25 lightweight varminter. just a thought lol. triggers are awesome, got a 6oz accutrigger on my 22-250 savage LRPV, they don't get much better and still be safe.

a good rifle for p-dog coyotes no you would be spotted a mile away . the performice of the two guns are about the same

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.