22/250 varmint rifle?

sniperboy

hi to all!

I am wanting to purchase a new 22/250 varmint rifle and have no idea on what to buy. I am looking for a extremely accurate out of the box rifle. would anyone be able to give me some advise?

Thank you

I just bought a savage predator model in 22-250. I like these because they have the fast 1 in 9" twist. Can shoot heavier bullets if you want to.

Sniperboy,
I've owned two different Remington heavy barreled .22-250's (both 1-14" twist) and were capable of consistent .25" with reloads. Factory ammo ran groups out to approx. .50". I also owned a Savage 110 FP in .223 Rem. (1-9")
that shot .1 - .3's.
If I were to purchase another it would be a Savage with the 1-9" twist, only because Remington doesn't offer that barrel with theirs. I rather have the HS Precision stock with aluminum bedding block, but would settle for a laminate with bedding pillars, if that's all I could get. I think the Savage runs a little less (price wiise) and any extra cash could go toward glass.
With that, I would go with a 20 MOA Picatinny base/ring setup and scope would be in the 6-24 range. Good luck...JohnnyK.

Yep, I would really look hard at that Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter. It has what all 22-250's should have a fast twist. If your a reloader you can shoot 75 grain bullets, with less wind drift at longer ranges than a 55 grain bullet. Most 22-250's use a 1-14 and your usually limited to bullet weights up to 55 grains.

This thing looks sweet. H-S stock, which are tough and not cheap looking like plastic injected molded stocks. They have a aluminum bedding block, made to fit the single shot action. They have that funky right bolt left port, but I guess a fella could get used to that.

They have a considerably heavy barrel compared to most factory varminters. I think around 1'' that will help you when the shooting gets good. They have the adjustable accutrigger. If I was to buy another 22-250 it would have to be this model.

There's an article on this very gun in Novembers Shooting Times. The author shot 3-shot groups only, but at 600 yards he shot a 1.79'' and another 3.87" with Swift Sirocco II 75 grain bullets. Using that new IMR-4007ssc powder.

All good advice for sure -that savage lrpv is nice -they ain't cheap but quality equipment never is.

What do you mean varmint gun ?

Will you be carrying it like a predator/varmint hunter ? or will you be close to the truck smacking colony varmints ?

If you will be using it for long range stationary colony varmints -big and heavy is good -if you're toting it over yon hill and dale give the sporterweight guns a look.
Although maybe you are tougher than a pine knot and welcome toting a 14lb rifle-hehe.

Hello flybuster !

Savage 12BVSS or the Long Range precision if you want to spend a little more $$$.

Wildcat

Varmint Rifle

I do like the Savage's. The only problem is their stock's. But then I guess if they had better stock's then their price would be higher. I have a Savage 12FVSS and the rifle is a real shooter. The only problem is that I had to restock the rifle, the stock that came with the rifle is truly junk. I have $1,000 in the stock. It sure is pretty, but it was not cheap(picture).

I recommend you do what I did. I bought the Remington LH VSF in 22-250. I then took it to my gunsmith and am having him put a new 28" Krieger tube on it. You should be able to rebarrel it for about $500. I am having a 1 in 8 twist barrel put on it for the 75 grain A-Max. This will truly give you a custom tack driver, without having to take out a loan. This rig will allow you to have the HS Precision Varmint stock. Tom.

IMG_0405.jpg

I have two 22-250's one is a standard Remington Varmint Series with a 14 twist in a HS precision stock... it shoots.5" easy and better most of the time. The other is a BR gun that has a switch barrel, one in 22-250 with an 8 twist that I had throated for the 75 grain A_maxes. This barrel is a shooter and very accurate... however my main quarry is groundhogs and I was trying to get into the 500 yard club with that gun... I could hit the groundhogs with the 75's but it woudln't kill them esp. at the longer ranges.... depending on your quarry I would caution the use of the 75's... super accurate.... not quite as terminal as a varmint bullet... but hey... they're not designed to be a varmint bullet. That being said, lots of people have had great success with the same bullet and type of set-up...I bought up a bunch of the starke 68 & 80 grain RPVarmint Bullets and have been using them on varmints with much better success. I still use it today, but have been enjoying my 243AI for longer range shooting with excellent results.
I have heard and witnessed that the new Savages are one of the most accurate out of the box guns today. Got a buddy that has a 112 BVSS in 220 swift it's an older one... but its a tack driver!!! Hope this helps. Sam

Last edited:
I do like the Savage's. The only problem is their stock's. But then I guess if they had better stock's then their price would be higher.

The Savage Long range Precision Varminter has a H-S stock, yes you are right the price is higher. I am not 100% they make the 1-9" for the 22-250, but I think they do. Like'ta get my hands on one.
12LRPV.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.