22/250 / .223 varmint calibre?

Savage .223

Sniperboy, I have the Savage lowprofile 12 series in a left hand set upon a choate sniper stock with a bushnell 4200 elite 8-32x40mm scope and love the setup. Great for 'chucks and hopefully for NE ohio coyotes. For out of the box accuracy you would be hard pressed to equal for the money.

223 vs 22-250

Most has been covered, but I've shot a 1:8 223 for probably 6000 rounds using 75 amax and 80 sierra bullets (high power competition). It still shoots well. I'm building a 22-250 AI with a 30" - 1:9 twist for the specific purpose of shooting the 75 amax faster/flatter with less wind drift. I expect between 1 & 2000 rounds from the new barrel. Purpose: 1,000 yd competition and long range critters. I have a second gun with a 1:12 to fireform brass and shoot 55gr bullets to about 700 yards, which I consider the limit for the lighter bullets -- if there isn't much wind.

I'll let anyone know who is interested how it all turns out. Should have the new piece up and operating by next spring & will try it out on the target range then. Critters come later in the year & the "good" barrel will be reserved for the VERY long shots.j

With the price and availability of the .223 right now you really aren't going to save very much on store bought ammo. .223 is going to get downright rareduring the next year or so. Just a thought.

Well for what it's worth I'll chime in and offer a couple of points, I shoot pastrue maggots and love it! it's great for tuning those long range abilities and it's good for a laugh or two also, I have shot 223, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243, 6mm Rem, and while all of them are great rounds I have over the years settled on 3 rifles that I take 17 Remington, 223, and the 243. the 17 Remington while it might be a little guy it's just plain nasty what it will do to a furry critter! it has become my calling rifle (gotta load the right bullets though) the 223 is my volume p-dog rifle with I don't know how many rounds through it so far, and the 243 has a 27" 1-8 twist barrel for the ones that feel safe way out there. no the main reason I don't use the 22-250 is with volume shooting the barrel gets pretty dang hot in a few rounds and yes you'll smoke a barrel if you don't pay attention! been there done that and I even got the t-shirt. If it were me I'd get the 223 if you think you will be shooting very much, with the 75gr. A-Max I was getting some good hits out further than I thought I could! the 22-250 is a great round but it just does not fit the bill in my situation not to mention if you reload you get more rounds per lb. of powder, barrel life is longer, recoil (which is not much) is considerably less, for me I just find that the 223 does what I need it to do and is more ecconomical! is the 22-250 a bad round? heck no it's a great round! but you can buy a factory rifle for a 223 that you can fire the heavy bullets or light bullets without buying a special twist barrel for a certain weight bullet, my Savage mod 12 will shoot anything from 50gr to 75gr. bullets fine, it does not really care bullets lighter than 50gr. my 22-250 would not shoot anything over 55gr. So for all purposes I'd opt for the little ol' 223, it's nothing fancy but neither is the 308. Later and feel free to get back to your lives lol.

Kirk

My 2 cents

Shoot both. A slow twist 22/250 craps out pretty bad around 650/700yds. Wind drift becomes enormous and irratic.

If you are comparing both as 9 twist barrels, the only difference is 300fps, more component cost, and several thousands more rds before cooking the barrel. That's it.

I have shot the 223 and 75gr amax at 2950fps to 1000m with very good accuracy. The last time out was pretty calm and I had no issue hitting a 1/2 X 3/4 MOA rock at 1100yds (size of a baseball cap). Kicked up quite a bit of dust too so a PD would be toast.

Under those conditions, hitting a pop can would be around 60%. Maybe more.

The 22/250 would hit with a bit more velocity (splat further out for sure), fly a little flatter, and drift less. Run the numbers through a ballistics program to see the diff. Not that much but there is a tangible difference.

Both can be made to be equally accurate.

Is it worth burning 50% more powder and getting 1/4 the barrel life?

Up to you...

Jerry

22-250 has too much horsepower and expense for me. I bought a LH .223 and a case of ammo from Gary Olen and I just love shooting it. I think after Christmas Ill buy another case of 55gr.

I was in the same situation of which to choose between the two. For a long time I wanted the 22-250, but got the .223 instead for all the reasons mentioned. I've got a Tikka with a 1:8" twist and am doing sub moa past 500 yrds so far. Right now I'm using American Eagle cause it's super cheap to hone my accuracy and ballistic tip for hunting and they both have almost identical specks, so I don't have to re-zero. After two weeks with it I've gone through 120 rounds. Can't wait to get out again.

I have a long range precision varmiter in .223 cal. Long shots aren't a problem,I use Sierra 69gr. Sierra HPBT-Match bullets. The gun is a great shooter. I haven't got to really strech it out yet,but have no doubt it will perform well at 500,and farther. It's not how fast you get there,but hitting what you are shooting at. A good range finder,and practice,will have you hitting targets farther out than you think! At 500yds,the 69gr. bullet still has 427fpe. more than enough to ruin a P-Dog's day!

savage prpv

i have read several articles . they will really shoot i have shot against .223 at 500 yards. the 22-250 gives you quite an advantage if therre is any wind at all . i would get the 22-250 . you don't say where you are excatly what you are going to shoot. but components/ammo for the 22- 250 are not that hard to find.

If the higher velocity (and higher barrel heat, sooner) of the .22-250 is the cause of shorter barrel life, how about reducing the powder charge? This might drastically affect accuracy, don't know, never tried it. And it defeats the reason for having a .22-250. But for those of us who have a .22-250, it might be something to look into. Might have to experiment with slower burning powders that take up more room in the case.

Also, has anyone determined at what barrel temperature you should stop shooting and let the barrel cool down? Wondering if anyone makes a digital thermometer where the sensor is attached to the barrel? This way one could accurately monitor the barrel temperature without constantly grabbing onto the barrel.

I have ordered a Savage Long Range Precision Varminter in .22-250 with the 1-9" twist barrel and I want it to last a long time. So anything I can do to extend that time is a plus.

Generally speaking, cartidges perform best when filled full of powder. ALso, the larger case capacity of the 250 will require more powder to match similar velocities that the 223 will obtain -- so simply putting a 24 gr charge (what a 223 would take) in a 22-250 will not produce the same velocities that a 223 will get. So the short answer is that a 22-250 will burn a barrel faster than a 223.

As far as the heat of the barrel, it is best (unpractical but best) to always shoot a cool barrel. But My rule of thum is that I let my hunting rifle cool after 3 shots. Just getting into the varmint thing but I think I will shoot strings of 10 to 15 - non rapid and make sure the barrel doesnt get more than warm to the toutch. Just my .02

The cost of ammo from the store and reloading cheaper for the 223.
Barrel life is much better in 223 than the 22-250, but a few thousand rounds.
the 223 will shoot past 500 or 600 yards with not problem and the 22-250 is about 300fps faster than yet barrel life may still be an issue...Most rifles will shoot an inch now days.
Shooting any rifle at any distance is a great day...as well as priceless.
Have owned both 223 and the 22-250 still own 223's my $.02

Its like whats better on deer a 3030 or 35 what about 3006 or 270?
the .22-250 is a killer and it will reach out and touch just like the .223, both are great varmint calibres. Than there is the .243 and now 260 Remi will you be doing any deer hunting? I have a .223 and like it. I shot one chuck at 500yards and quit a few just under around 470 to 475. Its the wind the scope the barrel the hand load and the shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.