22-250 rifle?

sniperboy

hi to all

i m at the process of buying a 22-250 calibre rifle for varmiting and cant decide on the rifle. can i gat some suggestions on a good make. price is not a issue. i have been thinking on getting the remington xr-1oo? and is 22-250 a good calibre?
looking forward to your replies. thanks!

Hi aussie,
The 22-250 is an excellent cartridge, i have owned several my self and i am currently building a 22-250 AI.
The XR is a good rifle but if price is not an issue, get yourself arguably the best out of the box Varmint rifle, a Cooper, they are starting to create quite a following here in the UK.
Altrnatively a Sako 75 Stainless Laminated Varmint, another superb rifle, both rifles infinitely better then a stock Remmy.

Ian.

hi to all

i m at the process of buying a 22-250 calibre rifle for varminting and cant decide on the rifle. can i gat some suggestions on a good make. price is not a issue. i have been thinking on getting the remington XR-100? and is 22-250 a good calibre?
looking forward to your replies. thanks!

The 22-250 is a good calibre.

I am on my second XR-100...

... Get a COOPER!!

My vote would be for one on the new savage 22-250 target guns with a 9 twist barrel. It will shoot very flat out to a 1000 yards with the 75 and 80 grain a-max and kill with authority. The fast twist 22 cals are a different breed and will get you past 500 yards with ease. The 12-14 twist 22 cals really fade fast past 500 yards. The stainless savage barrels on average are very good.

The Remington 700 VSSF II is a great gun too. The 22-250 is a proven cartridge with ammo available everywhere and is that standard most other varmint cartridges are judged by. The two that may have went above and beyond this (depending on intended targets) are the 204 Ruger and 220 Swift. The 204 is a great gun for PDs and general shooting. It has the ballistics of the 22-250 (maybe a little better in the wind) and the recoil of a 223. The Swift is the original speed demon of the .224 calbier cartridges (used to be the fastest until the 204 eclipsed it). It shoots flatter than the 250 and has a higher MV. If you hand load the 22-243 is an amazing cartridge.

Oh and the Cooper is also an extremely good gun (from what I've heard).

Reed has a good point about the fast twist. DON'T get a 14' twist in a 22-250, cuz you will be limited to 50 grain plastic tip bullets, or 55 grain softpoints.

For long range, you want at least a 12" twist, and a 10" or 9" would better.

The Savage Varmint rifles and the Coopers are very good. In the last few years the Remingtons have not lived up to their earlier excellent reputation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a xr-100 22-250.

Bedded the action ,turned the trigger down and loaded up some 52gr a-max and it shoots .5-.7" depending on me and conditions.
My xr-100 has the best wood to metal finish you could ask for.It works flawlessly in every way.
As Reed said try the savage w/the fast twist barrel the heavy high bc bullets will rock and roll way out yonder compared to 50-52gr.
A 22-250 shooting the heavies is easy to load for also.

Can't argue about going with a Cooper. Fine rifles and hopefully I'll have one someday.

Another option is a CZ 550 Varmint Laminate or Varmint Kevlar. I've got the Laminate in 22-250 and it is an excellent rifle. Very good fit/finish and accurate as hell. It has a 1:12 twist rate, so you can shoot the 55's or 60's. My groups at 100 yds using 55gr Blitzkings and Varget stay around the .3" range. Here's the website:

CZ 550

22-250

Sniperboy, if I were you, I would seriously look at the 243 for your varminting needs. A 243, with an 8, 8.5, 9, or 10 twist barrel, you can shoot the VLD type bullets or the deadly 87grn V-max. The 243, with a 26" barrel, will push the 87grn V-Max at around 3350fps or faster.

I would also look at the Cooper too. However, if money is an issue, look at the Savage 12BVSS or the Remington VLS. The 22-250 is a great varmint caliber, however, IMO the 6mm's are the best long range caliber for varminting. With the 6mm's you get the following; low recoil, bullets choice, range advantage over the .22cals, and more energy on target.

I personally shoot the 6x284, however, it's a bit of a barrel burner, but I love it for long range varminting.

Good Luck
Wildcat

22-250

Two years ago I bought a Remington 40-XB Rangemaster in 22-250. Mine came with the Boyds laminated thumbhole stock (with the vents in the forearm) similar to the XR 100 stocks. I did not like the polished SS finish so I glass bead blasted it so it now looks like the SS Remington Senderos. The original Senderos not the new ones!

I put a Leupold VX III 6.5-20 X 50mm with a varmint reticle. This rifle is the best investment I have ever bought. I load it with 34.5 grs of 4895 with a Sierra 50 gr bullet. At 100 yards it puts them thru the same hole all day. At longer ranges I can keep the groups well under 3/4''. Longest shots have been on some sage rats out at 600 yards.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.