Opinion on shilen savage replacement barrels

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by darrindlh, Mar 9, 2010.

1. darrindlh

darrindlh Well-Known Member

Guys I would like to rebarrel my Stevens 300 wm for a semi custom project. Would like a little heavier long range rig. What are your opinions on the shilen replacement barrells for savage. All opinions welcome

Darrin

2. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Out of the 6 custom rifles I have built over the years 4 wear Shilen barrels, 3 are chromemoly and one is a SS select match; I have yet to have one shoot over 3/4 moa when load testing has been completed. I just finished a .338 Ultra with the Shilen SS, I have put 4 loads through it so for (trying to find the sweet spot) & have yet to have a group go over 1 moa. That says a lot to me, regardless of cost or name, Shilen barrels have always delivered the goods.

3. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

I ve built two with shilen prefits and they are both .5moa
    or less shooters.
    I put them in bell and carlson medalist tactical stocks
    very good setups for the price

4. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

I've got a stainless select match on order right now. It's going to be chambered in a 243 win. I'm going to try there ratchet rifleing. I've read some really good things on it, hopefully by around early May I'll have and I can report back.

-Nathan

5. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

I used the ratchet rifling in the 260 ackley and it shoots awesome!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  6. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

I've read that some people were even getting better velocity from the rachet rifleing, did you experience any such luck with yours.

Thanks,
    Nathan

7. darrindlh

darrindlh Well-Known Member

Does shillen use the rachet rifling on all of there barrels including the savage dropins or do I have to special order that? I am not sure I understand what rachet rifling is what is the difference?

Darrin

8. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

I think the velocities are about the same as I would have expected with a regular barrel.
    I have a ratched rifled and regular rifle barrel and they both shoot awesome.
    I would think in a big boomer you may notice a difference in velocity or pressure.

Not all barrels are ratchet rifled.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  9. HoytemanPA

HoytemanPA Well-Known Member

I bought a Shilen/Savage prefit from Midway. 243 8 twist. While cleaning it the crown would rip the cleaning patch upon exiting due to burrs. So I recrowned it with their 11deg hand tool. Then I had to throat it .080 deeper to get a 105 Amax BT junction above the case neck junction.
    However I am very pleased with the way it shoots and would buy another one. Of the 4 bullets I have tried, 2 look like they will hold half moa or better at 500yd. Amax and SMK

I see them as a good $300 barrel with a free 90% complete chambering job.
    Shummy

10. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

I've had some buddies who have had great results with McGowen pre-fits as well.