Shilen barrels

Happ571

I was just wondering if anyone has sent a action to Shilen to have a barrel installed sounds like they do great work, Looking for pro's and cons? Not a gunsmith locally and wanted to use a Shilen barrel. Thanks

I have used a couple of thier barrels and while they shot great it seemd to me that they were on the soft side of being heat treated. I haven't heard anybody complain about their barreling services but I don't know anybody personaly thats had them do more than ship a barrel. I know that Hart and Pac-Nor do good jobs on their rebarrels as I've seen a couple of those.

I gotta ask though any particular reason your going with a Shilen barrel over any of the others? And if your shipping the thing out why not use a reputable smith ,their are several here.

If it would be just as easy to ship the barreled action to one of the smiths here and have them rebarrel with the brand of choice that is what I would do.

I can only reccomend someone who has done work I have seen, so 308Nate and Fiftydriver would be the only smiths here I could actually reccomend. But there are others who will do you a fine job. I cant keep up with all of them. Maybe someone else can give you reccomendations.

Happ

I use Shilen a lot for barrels and they shoot great.

As to having them barrel your action I would agree with james
that a good gunsmith would probably be best.Not that Shilen
would not do a good job.

The only thing that might make a difference would be the time
it takes some smiths to get your rifle to you(some times 1 to 2
years) where as Shilen would/could probably give you a shorter
delivery time.

If shilen has the barrel I need in stock then I normaly order from
them, if not then I use Lilja . Lilja barrels are as good as they get
and the delivery is the best of any barrel maker.

I have used many other brands of barrels (hart,douglas,kreiger and
others if the client requested with good results .

I dont think you can go wrong with a shilen if they will give you a
good price and good delivery date but I would check around first
and see what others offer.

Good luck on your build
J E CUSTOM

I also had a friend mention to take a look at Badger barrels, You don't see many posts about them what do you guys think?

I have a friend that shoots ALOT of black powder guns and he uses Badger barrels , Ihaven't heard of anybody using them for centerfire rifles , their are actualy a bunch of barrel makers out their alot of whom most folks have never heard , the big names are the guys that do it out of big shops due to high demand rather than out of a garage , not saying that the smaller guys barrels arn't good but the Kreiger , Lilja , Hart , Barlein , Shilen , Spencer , Schnider , Rock Creek , Broughton , Obermeyer and on and on are generaly the tops makers you see and hear about. Generaly for the most part all these guys barrel cost with in $25 of eachother.

I look at what caliber I'm gonna be shooting to help make my decision ,if I'm planning a 6mm-O6Ai to shoot the heavy VLD style bullet at warp speed then I know I need a fast twist probably button rifled , preferably with 5 or more grooves , as the lesser groove barrles help tear bullets up , but I'f I were looking for a 308 to shoot 175gr Sierra Match Kings for as long as possible then I'd likely choose a cut rifled barrel with 3-4 grooves.

Differant barrel makers are known for their specific barrels , like Hart may have a great drill and button right now that making the record setting barrels and so on.

I Have 2 Shilen Bbls

I sent my 300 RUM and 7mm Rem mag to Shilen in 2002. They did an excellent job of rebarreling. Each barrel is a #4 contour. The 7mag is 24" and the 300 is 28".

I do not recall turn around time but it was not long.

If the folks as Shilen do any less of a job, it does not show at the range. These 2 rifles are among my least finicky and easiest to find a load and I've killed a lot of big game with each.

Last evening was my first time at the range testing the 168 Berger VLDs in the 7mag. I only loaded up ammo to test for max load. I used half grain increments of Retumbo. Even though each shot had a different powder charge, they all hit inside of 3/4" at 100 yards. The bullets were seated to just touch the lands. I found this to be rather remarkable and will be doing final range tests tomorrow.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.