Opening up a barrel channel

hemiford

How do you folks do it ?

Curved wood chisels ?
Sandpaper wrapped around the barrel ?
A ball mill cutter in a drill press ?
Round rasps ?
Have someone else do it ?

I am real olde and have probably done over a hundred stocks for myself & others - free - because I am not a pro - but I served as a gofer for a well-known rifle maker & learned some stuff.

This is the Gunline tool - should be available at Brownells. Multiple hardened steel disks separated with rubber washers to present a nice sharp corner to wood & other stuff. With wood, best to work with grain. 1/2 inch works real good.

Got a grinder, diamond hone, and an old file - take the file & grind a round end, tune it up with diamond hone. Works OK for small areas & amounts.

Scraping if done correctly results in nice smooth level surfaces.

Look - it's JB Weld steel.

IMG_1870.JPG

The GunLine scraper outer will work for most stock materials, like wood, laminated wood, plastics, fiberglass/plastics, carbon fibers. Hardened steel disks with pointy sharp corners. Disks separated by rubber washers that allow disk corners to flex & bite into surface. Never tried it on aluminum, might work on removing small amounts but would dull tool quick.

Scraping with grain makes for a smooth level surface & is much faster than sanding, like removal of 1/8 of wood.

I have several scrapers that I made from files, and I use them for tight places & detail work. They don't look as nice as the Jerry Fisher scrapers but are cheaper & sturdy. A bench grinder & diamond stone will make these. If no barrel channel, like flat, drawing a line thru the middle of work then carefully drilling out wood with a line of holes carefully not too deep, then round wood rasp, then scraping makes for the fastest with hand tools.

Last edited:
How do you folks do it ?

Curved wood chisels ?
Sandpaper wrapped around the barrel ?
A ball mill cutter in a drill press ?
Round rasps ?
Have someone else do it ?

Have used this on fiberglass and prefer it over the dowel.

Wrap two layers of masking tape (or more, but this gives me the best "eye appeal" and tight clearance) around the barrel length wise, not circular.

Tape the edges of the channel on the forend as to not scratch it at the edges. Then set it in the stockwithout tightening the action screws as you will want to pull it out to clear out the dust frequently.

Just keep the sandpaper tight to the barrel at all times.