Opening the Encore barrel Channel

Swift One

I have been reading some posts on this site about opening up the barrel channel on the Encore Forearm so there are not as many pressure points on the barrel. I decided to give it a try on my Encore syntheitc forearm.

I did a pretty good job of sanding the sides so they do not touch the barrel. the same is true with most of the ribs. However there is one rib that I have a question about. The rib in the blue circle in the picture is considerably higher than the rear post for the screw. I sanded this rib lower than the front screw post but if I sanded it lower than the rear screw post, am I going to run into problems with proper seating of the barrel in the forearm? If I don;t sand the rib lower than the rear screw post, I will have three pressure points on the barrel instead of just the two (both screw posts). Tnanksfor any help.
[image]
HPIM1363.jpg
[/image]

What I did to the first synthetic forend like you have was bed the whole area between the screws and releaved everything around it. This adds a good bit of weight though if you use Steel bed bedding compound. Another option you have is to cut the rib down some and fill the area partialy with bedding compound , that will help with some strength also.
In short , yes if you leave the rib alone like it is then your going to have a third pressure point , will it hurt , I can't say for sure. If you remove it then your going to have atwo flat surfaces trying to sit tight on a round barrel that could lead to the forend leaning to one side or the other. You could sand the pillers to make them fit the barrel or cut a small V in the center to keep the barrel centered.
Personaly I like to fill the entire forend with bedding to make it stiff as possible then I piller bed the screws with aluminum pillers.

I sanded this rib so it is lower than the back post. My barrel sits on the two posts only. I have had no problems getting 1/2" accuracy from the .220 Swift and .300 Winchester Magnum barrels that I use on this frame. That said I have had very good luck with a .204 Ruger on another frame that I did nothing to the forend. It shoots under 1/2".

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.