Oops, got varget in my 4166

6pakzak

Accidentally poured varget from my trickler into into powder drop with 4166, from what I see they are pretty close to burn rates, thinking of just making some light loads to sight in micro red dot on AR, think this is ok or dangerous and I'm guessing it would give me crazy groups if I tried anything else with it longer range.

I pulled a similar bone head move with 8208 and 4064. Burn rates are similar and both are single based powders. Max loads in 308 for either are less than my load so I just mixed. It was a very small amount of 8208 compared to the 4064. 4166 is a double based powder with nitroglycerin mixed in. I'd be a little more concerned in this case as the nitro slows the burn rate of the nitrocellulose in 4166 and I don't know if it will migrate to the Varget.

I pulled a similar bone head move with 8208 and 4064. Burn rates are similar and both are single based powders. Max loads in 308 for either are less than my load so I just mixed. It was a very small amount of 8208 compared to the 4064. 4166 is a double based powder with nitroglycerin mixed in. I'd be a little more concerned in this case as the nitro slows the burn rate of the nitrocellulose in 4166 and I don't know if it will migrate to the Varget.
It was a small amount of varget

Around 50 grs varget in about 500 grs 4166
550 grs of powder is not a lot. I would use that powder , with a safe load, to use to foul your barrel or to fireform brass. I believe I would base the load on the 4166 data. If you are nervous then I would just dump it.JWIWD

550 grs of powder is not a lot. I would use that powder , with a safe load, to use to foul your barrel or to fireform brass. I believe I would base the load on the 4166 data. If you are nervous then I would just dump it.JWIWD
I gave it a try, used 24gr behind Hornady 60gr varmint, shot 7 shots, 4 made one hole about 1/4 low of center, 3 grouped 1 inch to right and low, I'm thinking mixed powder caused them but 4166 is looking pretty good, I'll use up what I got and then looking forward to making some just 4166 loads, lol.

I think I saw where Butterbean just uses Staball 6.5 to light campfires.....

Maybe use it that way....🙂
Ive been using it in my bolt gun with great results, not the mix, I just figured why not use it in my AR and see how it does, unfortunately I mixed it but for a starting load it's doing good already, been using varget for the AR previously, I think this 4166 might turn out to be better than varget for my rifles, i do not think the mix is helping and do not plan on mixing, just wanna get rid of it without throwing it out and was worried if it would be dangerous.

Ive been using it in my bolt gun with great results, not the mix, I just figured why not use it in my AR and see how it does, unfortunately I mixed it but for a starting load it's doing good already, been using varget for the AR previously, I think this 4166 might turn out to be better than varget for my rifles, i do not think the mix is helping and do not plan on mixing, just wanna get rid of it without throwing it out and was worried if it would be dangerous.
Probably should have threw it in my mini cannon, lit the wick a run, lol.

Accidentally poured varget from my trickler into into powder drop with 4166, from what I see they are pretty close to burn rates, thinking of just making some light loads to sight in micro red dot on AR, think this is ok or dangerous and I'm guessing it would give me crazy groups if I tried anything else with it longer range.
Aint worth the risk at any price, that's the kind of antic that costs eyesight!

Reloading is one of the ultimate zero tolerance of errors activities. Even if you could "get away with it," you have eroded your discipline. And for what? Save a little money? Throw that mixed powder away and take pleasure in your high standards.
You're right, I figured they were pretty close and a low charge would be fine but tossing it would have been best to do.