One of everything

Having been an active loader for over 60 years I have been fascinated by calibers & loads of various mixes.
Now as I reach mid- seventies and the idiots in charge have made components harder and harder to find, I have narrowed my load selection down and am down to a single caliber in three rifles.
I have settled on the 6.5 CM as I hunt a limited amount for whitetail, hogs and coyotes. Here in Texas we have many hogs and coyotes and I stay after them.
I shoot daily as I live on a farm and have a range behind my house.
Ok, only one caliber, 6.5 CM, one bullet? 140 Hornady ELDM, one case, Lapua SRP, one primer, F205M, one powder,StaBall 6.5, in 3 rifles.
A Savage Precision, a Browning Xbolt Long Range and an Xbolt Pro.
All three shoot the same load very well, 1:4"
to 1/2" MOA out to 500 yds.
I know this is not for everyone and that's ok too. It works for me and I can buy lots of a few components easier that a lot of different stuff. Deadly and accurate, all I need.
Good shootin'
Got two pounds of Stable and have a great load for H4350 (With several pounds) What is your powder load for the Stable?

Hunted, shot, and loaded for quite a few cartridges/rifles over the years. Now in my mid sixties I am down to three and will soon be at two. Hate to sale my Tikka .243 that's so accurate, but keeping my 2 favorites, .280AI and 7mm-08. Lack of Components make an easier decision. To me, bullets are the component that is hardest to find.

Dblman:
I admire your plan to keep it simple. With components so scarce and shooting what you can source, your plan makes sense.
Over my 70+ years I have reloaded for fun and a hobby but with so many accumulated calibers, it certainly is a challenge to keep them fed.
I have been contemplating downsizing my arsenal by passing them to my son and grandsons and building one or two customs. The available action and barrel quality now is certainly amazing.

Having been an active loader for over 60 years I have been fascinated by calibers & loads of various mixes.
Now as I reach mid- seventies and the idiots in charge have made components harder and harder to find, I have narrowed my load selection down and am down to a single caliber in three rifles.
I have settled on the 6.5 CM as I hunt a limited amount for whitetail, hogs and coyotes. Here in Texas we have many hogs and coyotes and I stay after them.
Ok, only one caliber, 6.5 CM, one bullet? 140 Hornady ELDM, one case, Lapua SRP, one primer, F205M, one powder,StaBall 6.5, in 3 rifles.
I know this is not for everyone and that's ok too. It works for me and I can buy lots of a few components easier that a lot of different stuff. Deadly and accurate, all I need.
Good shootin'
I'm 78 and I too have re-loaded since military in 60's. Totally different world in every respect, especially gun-related. Too soon old, too late smart. Semper Fi!

7 rifles in my current stable. Of those, I actively load for 3, although I have reloaded ammunition for all of them. I'm currently trying to get the best grouping out of my 224 Valkyrie, down to a .75" average. My fascination with chasing the "mythical .000" group. The main issue is primers and piwders. Hoping the current crisis will be alleviated allowing me to continue to chase that dream until the end.

Agree with OP,.. the 6.5 Creed., IS, an awesome, medium sized ( under, 400 lbs ish ), Big Game, Rifle !
And it will be used, a LOT for, practicing, "Field Positions" on, Steel Plates ( a Mirror image of, my .270 WSM Tikka )
I'm going to be using, the 143 grain ELD-X's, StaBall Powder, F210 M's, Peterson Brass, in mine.
But, I'm keeping, my Tikka, in .270 WSM ( 140's going, 3,200 FPS ) for, my,.. Elk / Moose, Rifle as,..
I "think" I, NEED, the Speed for, the Bigger, Stuff,.. LOL !

Last edited:
Good shootin'
I'm with jpfrog, I'm in DFW and will be poleased to help with your Porky problem.

I can definitely appreciate your logic and choices. I'm not there yet but I am trying to consolidate down to a single bullet for each diameter for deer, hogs, elk, steel etc. My plan is to buy bulk of that one 7mm bullet for example, the problem so far is the bullets I want to consolidate to are next to impossible to get in small quantities let alone bulk.

I got all my loads worked up years ago. I loaded my 1st round in April 1963.
I keep loaded rounds for 460 on down to 22 Hornet.

I have delegated each rifle to a family member, at least the ones that I haven't already given away.

So far, nobody has spoken for the 460, but I think my grandson will take it.

I have no problem with needing components as I have kept all in stock and haven't needed anything in quite some time.

The only thing I really had a problem with was black powder supplies.

I've tried, I really have but of the two capable of covering all the bases only one remains and there were a dozen or more that came and went until I was down to 8 or ten, several of the same caliber. Last year I needed a long range rifle to hunt a canyon I have access to. Shot bull at 1176 yards, but wasn't impressed with bullet performance. Have a 300 Norma Improved currently being built for hunting that canyon, but can't sell its predecessor as its still a very accurate long range rifle… just not ELR. And of course they're all different calibers now. Once again I'll have all the conceivable bases covered and there will be no reason to sell or try something different. Yeah, I don't believe myself either 😂

Good shootin'
Minimalism philosophy applied to the shooting lifestyle. It has a certain attraction, especially as I get older. I am just not strong enough to commit Lol.

Nope no way I want one of everything. I have four hunting rifles in the last four years in three different cartridges I have not killed anything with. Maybe I should hunt with a rifle instead of a bow and muzzle loader. Just purchased 1000 practice bullets for two practice rifles. Still plan on stacking the rifles up

I am kind of headed this direction by returning to "standard" cartridges but utilizing more recent bullet opportunities by going with faster twists, longer barrels, longer throats. Put together a 1:8tw .270 on 700LA that surprised the crap out of me in performance after reading @FEENIX .270AI. Not an AI but still way better than std .270. On my way to 06 in same path. Why? Just like OP stated, components easier to find for std cartridges. Heck, a 1:7 .270 may be next after the 06. The .270 fast twist will stay pretty close with the 6.8 Western so why not? Plenty of brass around, can use LR or LRM primers, however, holy grail powder is the RL26 pixie dust which is rarer than politician integrity.